Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Add a property to a component's node with Java when dialog is submitted

Level 2

Hello guys,

I am stuck on how to achieve a certain result.

The end goal is to add a property to a node when the dialog is submitted. The property should ideally be fetched through Java logic and then added to the dialog properties on the generated node. This should happen for a set of components that have a similar resourceType (i.e. they are all in the same folder)

parag_dalal_0-1615364645022.png

Essentially I am imagining something like the picture:

1) the dialog contains the editable configurable component's properties

2) on "cq-dialog-submit" if the resourceType startsWith the desired resourceType then

3) pass the info and resource to the Java logic, which fetches the additional property and, once retrieved, adds it to the resource that is the component's node that is going to be generated

4) ultimately the node is generate

5) and the component's node contains all the dialog properties + the additional fetched one.

Above everything else, I am confused on how to activate the Java logic by ensuring that the resource that gets manipulated (by adding an extra property) is exactly the same for which the dialog was submitted; and how to effectively persist the final data/node in the JCR.
So essentially, steps 3 and 4 are the ones that puzzle me the most.

For completeness, I would add that this "fetched property" should be added to the node once and for all, but the way I'd handle this is by simply checking if the property is already present when Java receives the order to fetch it, perhaps.

Have you guys encountered this need before and have any useful tips, best practices, guidelines to share?

Apologies if I haven't been able to explain myself fully.

As always, thank you so much for your contribution,
Parag.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@parag_dalal 

What I can think of is, create a servlet which will get content path(/content/..../current-component) as parameter, you can get resourceType from the node. In the servlet you can write the logic. Hit the servlet using Ajax "dialog-success" by passing the path.

Javascript:

1.  Ajax call to servlet with path in dialog-success event
  2. Can get current component content path from dialog form action attribute

Servlet:

1. Get the path, get resource using path
  2. Get resourceType
  3. Logic to fetch and set the additional properties/nodes

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

@parag_dalal 

What I can think of is, create a servlet which will get content path(/content/..../current-component) as parameter, you can get resourceType from the node. In the servlet you can write the logic. Hit the servlet using Ajax "dialog-success" by passing the path.

Javascript:

1.  Ajax call to servlet with path in dialog-success event
  2. Can get current component content path from dialog form action attribute

Servlet:

1. Get the path, get resource using path
  2. Get resourceType
  3. Logic to fetch and set the additional properties/nodes

Level 2

In the end we opted to listen on the generate event of the JCR node and take action from there, but I consider this suggestion a very clever and viable solution as well.

So I am glad the moderator accepted it a solution.

I was going to do it myself, when given time.