Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Accessing older versions of web-pages in Publish instance

Level 1

I have a requirement in my project where we need to make the older versions of a page available to viewers in publish instance. I know we can easily check older versions of a page in author instance and also compare the differences in two versions. Is it possible to have something similar in Publish instance ? I know that we can get or restore revisions of a page by using PageManager API programatically but wanted to check if there is anything available out of the box or if there is a better way of achieving this ?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated !!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Easiest in this case would actually be to create a rudimentary version handling system using the content system. What you can do is that you create a workflow that whenever a new version of a page is created, it also creates a subpage with the same content and numbering it according to some schedule like incrementaly increasing integer or timestamp. What you then should do is to have the node internally go for the "current" version when you access the page.

As I see it, the requirement is not correctly formulated in this case. The case as it is now is "I want to be able to see older versions of this page" where it in fact is the case of "I want to be able to easily copy and publish the same page over and over again as new instances".

If you would use the Launches functionality, then you could show them that each Launch is a new "version" that could be separatly published.

/Ove

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee

In general, versions aren't created on publish and doing so requires non-trivial customization. Let alone creating a UI for visualization.

Level 1

Thanks Justin, can you give me an idea of how complex the customization would be ?  Also, where are the version details of pages stored ? (I couldn't find it in crx repository : http://<host:port>/crx/explorer/  , I was assuming it should be here /content/<page>/jcr:content ). 

Level 10

Amita Singh wrote...

Also, where are the version details of pages stored ? (I couldn't find it in crx repository : http://<host:port>/crx/explorer/  , I was assuming it should be here /content/<page>/jcr:content ). 

In author it will be stored under /jcr:system/jcr:versionStorage 

Employee

Amita Singh wrote...

Thanks Justin, can you give me an idea of how complex the customization would be ?  

Maybe a 7 out of 10. Definitely not for the faint of heart. And to be clear, even if that case, you would only get the replicated versions, not any manually created versions.

Correct answer by
Level 6

Easiest in this case would actually be to create a rudimentary version handling system using the content system. What you can do is that you create a workflow that whenever a new version of a page is created, it also creates a subpage with the same content and numbering it according to some schedule like incrementaly increasing integer or timestamp. What you then should do is to have the node internally go for the "current" version when you access the page.

As I see it, the requirement is not correctly formulated in this case. The case as it is now is "I want to be able to see older versions of this page" where it in fact is the case of "I want to be able to easily copy and publish the same page over and over again as new instances".

If you would use the Launches functionality, then you could show them that each Launch is a new "version" that could be separatly published.

/Ove