Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

Accessing global object wcmmode in AEM from a handlebars template

Level 2

I can access a component properties from an hbs template for that component like this:

{{properties.title}}

but I want to access the wcmmode from that (https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-0/develop/sightly/global-objects.html) so I can decide to render or not some information in design or edit mode. I now you can access this variable in sightly using:

<p data-sly-test="${wcmmode.edit}">You are in edit mode</p> <p data-sly-test="${wcmmode.design}">You are in design mode</p>

But that does not work on hbs, I tried:

<p data-sly-test="{{wcmmode.edit}}">You are in edit mode</p> <p data-sly-test="{{wcmmode.design}}">You are in design mode</p>

That always evaluates as true regardless of the real mode. Any ideas on how to correctly access this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Try this:

{{#if-wcm-mode mode="EDIT"}} <p>You are in edit mode</p> {{/if-wcm-mode}} {{#if-wcm-mode mode="DESIGN"}} <p>You are in design mode</p> {{/if-wcm-mode}}

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 8

Try this:

{{#if-wcm-mode mode="EDIT"}} <p>You are in edit mode</p> {{/if-wcm-mode}} {{#if-wcm-mode mode="DESIGN"}} <p>You are in design mode</p> {{/if-wcm-mode}}

Level 2

Amazing, that almost works. It works on classic UI, but in touch UI when I change to design mode and the value does not change :(. Where did you found that conditional BTW?, I've been searching for information about that for ages.

Level 8

Make sure you refresh in Touch UI after changing to design.  That's a limitation of the CMS itself and not that snippet of code.

You know, I honestly don't recall where I initially found it.  I had to go back through a years worth of commits to find it though lol (it was eventually removed from the code base).

Level 2

But its not totally a refresh problem. If I change to preview and refresh the texts disappears, but if I change to design and refresh it says that I'm in edit mode (Touch UI is really weird)

Level 8

Sounds like a bug with the Touch UI to me.  I would file a Day Care ticket.

Level 1

The syntax for the #if-wcm-mode is slightly different from what is stated above. The right usage is:

{{#if-wcm-mode mode="<mode1>,<mode2>"}} ... {{else}} ... {{/if-wcm-mode}}

"mode" can be compared against a comma separated list of know modes as listed here: https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/cq/5-6-1/javadoc/com/day/cq/wcm/api/WCMMode.html

Hope that helps.