Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

What screen resolutions should you make for DPS 2015 apps on IOS?

Level 2

We are making magazine with the new DPS 2015 system. We are going to have a print, tablet and phone version of this magazine. To hit both of the digital version I was planning on making the resolution of the tablet 768x1024 and the phone version 640x1136. Are these still good resolutions to set up for? I want to hit as many devices as we can without making more that one phone and one tablet version of the app.

640x1136 is the resolution of iPhone 5 and it works on iPhone 5 and up. Is this resolution still a good resolution to use so it works on the 5, or should I switch the resolution to the iPhone 6 of 750x1334?

Thank you.

5 Replies

Level 6

Resolution choices, always a good debate. While your question uses specific iOS device dimensions, you should embrace the reality that DPS 2015 is about device classes more than OS/platforms. Think phone, tablet, web viewer more going forward.

Also consider the challenge of choosing a dimension for a design versus using responsive HTML for greater flexibility across devices. HTML and CSS can adjust the presentation of an article to fill any device screen, no letter/pillar boxing. The article is smooth scrolling, like a web page -- this might be a great way of building content, and you don't have to choose dimensions. Of course this means you'd use an HTML editor/system or a CMS like AEM, Drupal, or Wordpress to build your content -- definitely a different workflow. Chances are, this is where we're headed more and more.

Depending on your readership, it may be true that iPad is a good dimension for your tablet content. I think the choice of a phone dimension is slightly harder b/c it may be that you have a more diverse device pool for your phone readership. I'd likely work at the iPhone 5 size rather than larger 6 and 6+ -- that way it's more likely that a page will look good on the smaller screen and be somewhat enlarged on the larger screen. I'm more comfortable with that rather than trying to read shrunken pages on a smaller screen. (And then consider the rumors of upcoming iPhones with smaller screens... which way should you go?)

HTH

Level 4

Is there any way to convert InDesign content via HTML5 and convert that to a .article file?

Level 6

InDesign's export to HTML is notorious.

I've heard folks recommend IN5: Ajar Productions: in5 - Home

Level 2

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it.