Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How do you include PDFs into your collections or articles?

Level 2

I would like to add some PDF documents to an article that the user can view. (An ideal situation would be to have a collection of cards that go directly to the PDFs). Before, I would add them to the HTMLResources.zip and link to those files, but in the new 2015 DPS, I don't see a way to do that. Is there a work around the achieve this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Turn them into .articles using the new Acrobat to DPS beta, then just treat them as normal articles. See Now in prerelease: Convert PDFs to DPS articles using Acrobat for details on how to get the beta. It works great!

Neil

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Turn them into .articles using the new Acrobat to DPS beta, then just treat them as normal articles. See Now in prerelease: Convert PDFs to DPS articles using Acrobat for details on how to get the beta. It works great!

Neil

Level 2

Oh nice - thanks! How will that work if I my app is set to landscape orientation, but the PDF documents are portrait? Will the user be able to turn the device to see them fullscreen or do I need to make my app a vertical orientation?

Employee

You'll need to make your app vertical orientation, otherwise the PDFs will display portrait on the landscape screen.

Neil

Level 6

Unfortunately, at this point in time, there is only a prerelease converter for Windows. There has not yet been a date announced for a Mac version.

Employee

Tommy, as I just posted in the prerelease forum, Mac support for the DPS Converter for Acrobat plugin is now in active development, with a current target date of end-of-November.

Level 6

That's great Brian!  Thanks!  Somehow I missed that post.

Level 1

Hi Neil,

I'm running into the same problem, and can't seem to find a good solution. With the previous DPS, the HTML Resources folder was perfect for my app as it served as an archive of past training PDF's (that are not part of the app). The user would simply tap a button of the archived PDF, view it, and close out of it, remaining on the same page of the app. The number of PDFs I have linked to in my app is several hundred, so creating a new individual article for each is not an option. I've been searching for an EASY way to continue to link to them, as most of my articles have to be updated for DPS 2015, breaking the link to the old HTMLResources folder. Completely trashing one of the main features of the old DPS has created a huge headache, at least for me.

Level 6

Pamela, is it possible to host your PDFs online?  If so, you could use an article w/ hyperlinks to open the PDFs, or set up a banner for each and have each banner open individual PDFs.

We are working with a team to develop an HTML solution that packages the PDF with an HTML file, and is then packaged into an article - individual article for each PDF, but it doesn't sound like that would be a solution for you either.

Level 1

Tommy, I've also been told to create an HTML article and create links to the PDFs within the HTML article. The problem is that I'm not a web designer and have very little experience with HTML. I think I need some additional training to accomplish this. Just wish there was an easier way since I'm dealing with such a large amour of PDFs. I'm not sure about hosting online. May not be able to for security purposes.

Level 6

Well, there are a few ways you could do this, as a non-tech savvy designer as well!  Have you ever used Muse?  It's a tool by Adobe available in the Creative Suite whose interface is similar to InDesign, PS, or AI - but instead of generating print media, it creates HTML pages. You could probably get up to speed on it within a few hours, and create the HTML page for your PDF links pretty easily, without any code at all!

There is also a Beta version of Muse that can create responsive web pages so that you could develop on page of links for Web, Tablet and Phone, and package it into a .article file using the HTML Article Packager.

If you'd like to take this out of the forum, I'd be glad to discuss it with you. Shoot me a note at:
tommy@batescreative.com

Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion Tommy! I do have access to Muse, so it sounds like this may be the best solution for me. I’ll play around with it and let you know if I have any questions. Thanks so much!