Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Download complete collection from Content View?

Level 3

I know downloading of collections is possible from browse pages, but when will it be possible from Content View? The best solution would be it to default download the complete collection when the user tap the collection on the home page - just like it is done in the old DPS app.

Is this going to be implemented soon?

If I start reading our current edition in the DPS2015-app, I soon (after about four-five pages) hit a page not completely downloaded, and we think this is a turn-off for the customer.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Espen,

We aren't planning on downloading the entire collection when the reader enters it. Collections can be of infinite size in DPS 2015, and there are many cases where we'd fill up the device by downloading a single collection completely. The loading page you're seeing could happen in the previous DPS product as well, since we don't force the whole folio to be down before you can enter it either.

If you're reading your issue at a normal pace and seeing download screens after 4-5 pages (i.e. you're actually reading content and not swiping as fast as you can between articles) I would look into how you're constructing your articles and see if there's things you can do to reduce their size. The biggest cause of download screens when readers are looking at content at a normal pace is things like InDesign articles with embedded videos, big multi-state objects, etc.

Neil

View solution in original post

18 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Espen,

We aren't planning on downloading the entire collection when the reader enters it. Collections can be of infinite size in DPS 2015, and there are many cases where we'd fill up the device by downloading a single collection completely. The loading page you're seeing could happen in the previous DPS product as well, since we don't force the whole folio to be down before you can enter it either.

If you're reading your issue at a normal pace and seeing download screens after 4-5 pages (i.e. you're actually reading content and not swiping as fast as you can between articles) I would look into how you're constructing your articles and see if there's things you can do to reduce their size. The biggest cause of download screens when readers are looking at content at a normal pace is things like InDesign articles with embedded videos, big multi-state objects, etc.

Neil

Level 3

Our need is a complete download.

However, could this be a solution: Let us download the next 25 articles, instead of only the next 3-4 articles.

It would solve our problem.

Employee

Hi Espen,

Your readers can trigger complete download by tapping the new explicit download button in the HUD of the browse page for your collection. This is a new feature that was in our last release. Have you tried that yet?

We are discussing increasing the look-ahead to get more than the next 3-4, but it won't really help if your aren't staying on an article long enough for us to complete the download of future articles in the first place.

Neil

Level 3

We do not use the browse page, we use the Collection view.

Can you let us download a collection, but limit it to 100Mb? After 100mb it just stops downloading?

I'm not sure the size of DPS2015-collections, but in the old DPS a collection os aprox 20-30 mb i size, and downloads in a few seconds.

In DPS2015 download is terrible slow, really slow!

Why is that?

Employee

Hi Espen,

"In DPS2015 download is terrible slow, really slow!" should not be the case. We've invested heavily in our download performance and you should see it as fast or faster than in DPS classic. If you could share some real numbers comparing the download of the same content in your previous app and new DPS app it would be helpful.

Neil

Level 3

Sure! In DPS downloadtime for the edition (D2 23. oktober) is 17 seconds.

After converting this to a collection i DPS2015, and using Browser view to do a complete download, the time is 1 minute and 28 seconds!

That is more than five times longer.

Level 3

With the old DPS I noticed a difference between published and unpublished content. I believe it comes from different servers. Are you by any chance using a preflight app?

Employee

Hi Espen,

Are both these apps available in iTunes? If so, what are they?

Neil

Level 3

DPS is published in itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/no/app/dn-for-ipad-og-iphone/id456984810?l=nb&mt=8

DPS2015 is not released in itunes. The speed is from our developer app - the one we have built with the tools in DPS2015. If you like, we can try to give you access.

The speed is not measured using the preflight-app.

Employee

Hi Espen,

Would it be possible to first provide a video of the two scenarios, so that I know for sure what you're measuring that's 5x longer? After we have a shared understanding, I can then have you contact me directly to sort out the performance issue through direct access to the app.

Regards,

Dave Herrera

Employee

Hi Espen,

I was able to reproduce what you’re seeing here. It took about 11 seconds to download that issue completely in your existing app. Something weird is going on, it definitely shouldn’t take that much longer in DPS 2015! Did you migrate that folio to DPS 2015 using the migration tool?

Also, can you share that folio with me so we can investigate? You can share it to neilegenesis_free@adobetest.com<mailto:neilegenesis_free@adobetest.com>.

Thanks!

Neil

Level 3

Yes, I did.

We have the same result with all issues.

Espen Moe

redigerer / subeditor

Employee

Thanks. Please share that issue with me via the DPS sharing feature in the dashboard, it’ll help us dig into what’s going on.

Neil

Level 3

I'm not quite sure what you want me to do, but this is the collection I've used in the video as an example:

http://edge-ssp.publish.adobe.com/ssp?entityRef=%2Fpublication%2Fad2c9b62-2f19-4cd7-9c7d-0279dd7147b...

Employee

Hi Espen,

Please share the folio using the share feature in Folio Producer. You can share it to neilegenesis_free@adobetest.com<mailto:neilegenesis_free@adobetest.com>. Log into the DPS dashboard and open Folio Producer. Select the folio, then click the share button in the top rail (looks like two people).

Neil

Level 3

All our content is produced using Woodwing, so I do not have this feature.

Employee

Ah darn. Ok, I’ll have to ask around and come up with something else.

Neil