Expand my Community achievements bar.

Can you import Excel Data into a Dynamic PDF?

Level 6

Hello all,

I have created a dynamic LiveCycle Designer form and would like the functionality of importing Excel data into this form. Although I'm confident that it is not possible to accomplish this task with a dynamic form only static, I wanted to run it through this community to make sure there is nothing new out there that I've missed. The issue with this form is that it can get lengthy and our customers usually keep their data in Excel but need to submit it to our agency via this PDF form so they want an efficient way to import the data. This particular form is dynamic because some customers may have 1000 entries and some may have 5 so there is no way to know how to make this the proper size via static format. I've seen a couple of questions regarding this but no real answers for forms created in LiveCycle Designer. If its a big fat "no" then at least I know for sure. Thank you, guys!

2 Replies

Level 10

Excel files such as XSLX are in a properitary file format which can't be read by a PDF viewer, however, Excel also supports simple text fiels with comma separated values (CSV). You can use Acrobats util.readFileIntoStream() method to read such files into your form and process them with JavaScript to parse the contained data in the way you need it. 

Level 6

Hello @radzmar 

Quick question: the table that needs to collect data from the spreadsheet/CSV file has a repeating row and this table is inside of a subform that also repeats. Can the code you provided automatically expand these instances according to the CSV file information being imported? I think can figure out how to do this if the file is not dynamic but with this form, the information being imported could create a 2 page doc or 100 page doc once its all said and done.