Expand my Community achievements bar.

AEM 6.4 on local Windows 11 issue with prepareData not updating form

Level 5

Greetings All,

I have just installed a local instance of AEM 6.4 JEE on a Windows 11 laptop for some development testing.

I have found that I have an issue with data modified by the Prepare Data orchestration not being reflected in the rendered form for Assign Task - UserServiceV2.

I have no issues with the prepare data that fires on the Workspace Start Point - the data updates made in that orchestration are reflected in the rendered xdp.

I have not seen any other data issues in the main or prepare data orchestrations, or any errors tied to the render event in Server.log or error.log in the CR-X.

• The service is set to run the prepare data process when a user opens the task.
  • The data presented matches the data being passed into Assign Task ( before prepare data runs ).
  • I have recordings turned on, and the prepare data process is executed successfully.
  • The server installation was run as administrator - with UAC disabled.
  • Merging the XML output of prepare data with the XDP produces the desired form.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Mark

8 Replies

Employee

Hi Mark,

Are you sure that you set the process data correctly in your PrepareData process to be returned? Sounds to me as if the modified dataset is not returned to the next steps in your orchestration or are you sure that you use the correct variable for the process data in the UserTask? 

Kosta

Level 5

Hello Kosta,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am pretty sure that the orchestrations are set up right.

I initially discovered this issue moving running applications to my local instance from a server on the network where they run without this issue.

I have also tried creating brand new applications from scratch on local and using all the default variable names (xmlPrepareData), etc.

Migrating the new app created on the local instance to the network server - it works as expected there.

I am running the same version of Java as the network server.

Thanks Again,

Mark

Employee

AEM Forms 6.4 JEE is not supported on Windows 11. For supported OS, please refer to this link. Thanks!

Level 5

Hello Mayank,

Thank You for your reply - I may need to try and locate a Win 10 machine to install on and see if that is the fix.

I was hoping it might work on Win 11, as this machine is exceptionally fast.

Thank You - Mark

Employee

Sorry Mark, but even Windows 10 is also not supported, as per the link.

You need to use 64 bit Windows Servers like the versions 2012 R2 or 2016, as per the link above. Windows 10 or Windows 11 are not Windows Servers. 

Level 5

I believe it is based on this in that same linked document:

Virtualized environment

You can run AEM Forms on JEE on a physical machine or a virtual environment. However, if you encounter any issue with AEM Forms on a virtual environment, try replicating the issue on a physical machine. If the issue persists on the physical machine, contact Adobe Support for a resolution. For issues that do not replicate on the physical machine, contact your virtual environment vendor.

Development environments

Platform (Base Version)Support LevelSupported Patch Definitions

Microsoft® Windows® 10

E: Expected to work

Service pack and critical updates

Employee

Yes, it is expected to work in Development environment, but we would recommend to test this on an OS Server for the best results. Thank you! 

Employee

I have rebuilt my server to run on Windows Server 2012 R2 - Using AEM 6.4 and Java 1.8.0_291.

I am encountering the same issue - What I have noticed is the URL passed to the form service does not reflect my desire to use a Prepare Data process - it has dataRef=fstask://task/308.

I believe this is taking the data from the main workflow task ( which matches my end user experience ), and not the prepare data process.  According to the documentation I have read, the prepare data process URL should be appearing here.

Can anyone confirm that or point me where to look next?

Thanks Again

Mark