Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

Naming conventions

Level 1

Hello, our team is starting to prep files to go into AEM. 

We need to develop a proper naming convention and content architecture. 

Does anyone has tips and best practices they could share in order to establish a robust naming convention and content architecture? Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

There some JCR-level constraints outlined here: https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/constraints.html

That said, I try to stick with: lowercase, alphanumeric using hypens for separators, because:

- names are unambiguous

- names are easily human-readable

- names work well in URLs and do not require escaping/unescaping

- This is also the "default" way the AEM UI converts Titles to Node names (if you type in a Page title, it "auto-suggests" a Node name in this format)

Obviously, if your language is non-latin (ex. Chinese, Arabic, etc.) i wouldn't use latin characters .. but i'd still avoid any unnecessary special chars, and use hypens for word delimiters.

Content architecture is a whole different can of worms though, and heavily depends on what your specific requirements.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

There some JCR-level constraints outlined here: https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/constraints.html

That said, I try to stick with: lowercase, alphanumeric using hypens for separators, because:

- names are unambiguous

- names are easily human-readable

- names work well in URLs and do not require escaping/unescaping

- This is also the "default" way the AEM UI converts Titles to Node names (if you type in a Page title, it "auto-suggests" a Node name in this format)

Obviously, if your language is non-latin (ex. Chinese, Arabic, etc.) i wouldn't use latin characters .. but i'd still avoid any unnecessary special chars, and use hypens for word delimiters.

Content architecture is a whole different can of worms though, and heavily depends on what your specific requirements.

Community Advisor

Few Naming Convention Tips: 
No Spaces in Asset names.
Names should be all lower case.
No Underscores ( _ ), only hyphens ( - )
Only use characters in this set (allowed characters) for the file name and the extension: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789-
No trailing spaces or hyphens.

Don’t use repeating hyphens, i.e. there should never be 2 or more hyphens one after the other.
Use the period character “.” only once. To separate the file name from the extension.
No double extensions/period symbol: example: abc-def-image..jpg
Restrict file names to 80 characters.
Replace special characters as follows:
™ = â„¢

® = ®

” = â€

“ = “

’ = ’