Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How to Apply multiple metadata Schema for Assets within same Folder

Community Advisor

Hi All,

I have a requirement where i need to allow the author to select the type of schema he wants to apply for asset after uploading.We have 2 metadata models.Author will choose which one to apply during asset upload. Within same folder i may have few asset with Model A and few assets with Model B.

I know we can create custom schema using Mime type. But in my case same mime type may get different metadata schemas.  I tried contextual metadata but it removes all other tabs and give only option to include one tab. 

In my case i want all the default schema tabs like Basic,Advanced,IPTC,IPTC Extension,Camera Data + Tab B or Tab B.

Any idea on how to achieve this.

Regards,

Ganthi

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

It certainly seems like a tricky one  Though there might be customisations that can be done to achieve this, I think thijgs will be much simpler if we tweak a bit the way the assets are organised in DAM.

Lets start by listing down the key requirements:

• Assets uploaded to DAM can have any of the two metadta schemas, this is decided by the author at the time of uploading.
  • The assets in the same folder can have either of the two metadata schemas.

The restrictions:

• Metadata schema can be applied to a folder only, and not specific assets itself.

My opinion:

From above, I would question on what basis are the folders structured in DAM. If the author knows what metadata schema he wants to apply to the asset when uploading, then why not create a folder structure in DAM based on the two metadata schemas.

Speaking generally, folders are a way to group assets together.  And I understand that means if you go with the above recommendation of creating a folder structure in DAM based on the two metadata schemas, you will lose logic with which the folder structure was created. However, there are other features available to group assets, such as Tags or Collections. Tags can be structured in pretty much the same taxonomy as folder structure in DAM.

This way, you would be able able to apply metadata schema and structure your assets, all using OOTB features without customisation.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 3

Hello @Ganthimathi_R ,

I think for the use-case rather than going with multiple custom metadata schemas approach which is not possible to apply for the same folder, you can probably identify the fields/tab needs to be shown for the certain user group and hide or show it based on the user details.

Thanks,

Anil. 

Correct answer by
Level 5

It certainly seems like a tricky one  Though there might be customisations that can be done to achieve this, I think thijgs will be much simpler if we tweak a bit the way the assets are organised in DAM.

Lets start by listing down the key requirements:

• Assets uploaded to DAM can have any of the two metadta schemas, this is decided by the author at the time of uploading.
  • The assets in the same folder can have either of the two metadata schemas.

The restrictions:

• Metadata schema can be applied to a folder only, and not specific assets itself.

My opinion:

From above, I would question on what basis are the folders structured in DAM. If the author knows what metadata schema he wants to apply to the asset when uploading, then why not create a folder structure in DAM based on the two metadata schemas.

Speaking generally, folders are a way to group assets together.  And I understand that means if you go with the above recommendation of creating a folder structure in DAM based on the two metadata schemas, you will lose logic with which the folder structure was created. However, there are other features available to group assets, such as Tags or Collections. Tags can be structured in pretty much the same taxonomy as folder structure in DAM.

This way, you would be able able to apply metadata schema and structure your assets, all using OOTB features without customisation.