Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Asset versions not showing up in AEM cloud when metadata is updated/changed

Level 1

Hi,

Currently, we are on AEM cloud.
We triying to view the asset metadata version and DAM metadata version from the assets admin console by navigating to timeline and clicking on the version. It is coming up as blank and I couldn’t see any versions after updating the metadata.
This functionality is working fine for pages and i can see page history though.
Any one faced the same issue in cloud ? Please suggest.

895BCDBA-98AB-40A7-AB84-4FDB24DB3D5A.jpeg

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi , On AEM CaaS  - version is not created for both page and assets on editing the metadata.

Although for page metadata editing, it does shows that page status is modified and in the timeline that the page was edited but the version still doesn't get created. In timelines there's a drop down which is 'Show all ' by default .Change it to 'versions' and you'll see no versions are created but changes are logged .

In case of assets on cloud ,  the version and timeline does get created only if you edit the binary by clicking (e) instead of metadata.The asset state also does not show modified even if metadata changes .

I guess if you have such a requirement of tracking any change in metadata, it might be custom on the change of metadata node. Alternatively , You may want to check by enabling metadata write back (which is disabled by default in cloud )  to see if that helps and logs history in timeline.https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/assets/admin/xmp-me...

Note : Check with client if they are okay to write all metadata back in the binary as some data may be sensitive.  Also, you may not want to add this extra processing step unless really required by the business.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 5

I observe the same behavior.

On local AEM 6.5, updating asset metadata creates a new version of the asset, and CQ page.

However, on AEMaaCS instance updating asset metadata does not create a new version of the asset.

My guess is that in local AEM 6.5 the below step in the DAM XML Writeback workflow triggers an event that creates a new version of the asset. There could be a difference in this event handler between the two variants of AEM.

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 12.32.58 pm.png

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi , On AEM CaaS  - version is not created for both page and assets on editing the metadata.

Although for page metadata editing, it does shows that page status is modified and in the timeline that the page was edited but the version still doesn't get created. In timelines there's a drop down which is 'Show all ' by default .Change it to 'versions' and you'll see no versions are created but changes are logged .

In case of assets on cloud ,  the version and timeline does get created only if you edit the binary by clicking (e) instead of metadata.The asset state also does not show modified even if metadata changes .

I guess if you have such a requirement of tracking any change in metadata, it might be custom on the change of metadata node. Alternatively , You may want to check by enabling metadata write back (which is disabled by default in cloud )  to see if that helps and logs history in timeline.https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/assets/admin/xmp-me...

Note : Check with client if they are okay to write all metadata back in the binary as some data may be sensitive.  Also, you may not want to add this extra processing step unless really required by the business.