Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

AEM - Dynamic Media Classic, uploading template files are getting numbers appended to file names

Level 2

Hi All, 

I am hoping one of you can offer some insight into something we've noticed happening (somewhat) recently on our file uploads into the Dynamic Media Classic system.  When we upload psd templates, instead of simply overwriting the file as it previously did, now we're seeing versions of the template files.  The file names are appended with -1, -2, -3, etc.  

Is that what the purpose is of this newer functionality, to provide versioning of image assets? 

Thanks much for any thoughts!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Thanks Vikas, 

I actually think we've been misusing the "template" technology.  We upload layered psd files but don't need any of the associated "template" technology such as text editing or adding dynamic content into these images.  I've simply unchecked "create template" from my job options on upload, I think this should take care of the problem! 

I appreciate all your input, that final test is what lead me to (hopefully!) the answer to our issue. 

Thanks again! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 4

Please check the overwrite setting[0] defined in the Dynamic Media Classic account. The behavior coming can occur because of two reasons. 1} Either someone changed these settings and overwrite behavior is appending the suffix or 2) If the settings were like previous before then the name of the layers are identical.

[0] https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-learn/dynamic-media-classic-tutorial/main...

Level 2

Thanks Vikas!  You always provide great information.  

I checked our application settings and found that we have this option selected:  

• Overwrite in any folder, same base asset name regardless of extension - This option is the most inclusive replacement rule. You can upload a replacement image to a different folder than the original, upload a file with a different filename extension, and replace the original file. If the original file is in a different folder, the replacement image resides in the new folder to which it was uploaded.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly; if we upload a psd template that is named: 

• 'photoshoptemp.psd'  and it has 2 layers that are named
    • 'unique1'
    • 'unique2' 

and then we replace that template with the same file name and also layers with the same layer names, it will always append the name of the template with -1 and -2 etc regardless of the overwrite setting we use?  I thought that with this should be overwriting throughout the system, or am I misunderstanding these options?  

We often update image layers within templates and re-upload them with the exact same file/layer names, my hope is that I could just get the template to always be replaced with the newest version and not have older versions of the template out there.  Will one of the overwrite settings get us back to that functionality?  

As always, thank you for your help!

Level 4

Ideally if "Overwrite in any folder, same base asset name regardless of extension" is selected then the same file name assets should be overwritten and there shouldn't be suffix "-1" "-2" added to the file name. If you are seeing this behavior is not coming expected in your use case, I would recommend opening a support case with us for further investigation.

A simple test can also show the results, instead of uploading the same name PDF/layers try uploading different assets with the same name to DM and see the behavior, if it gets replaced then we are good to close this part and can investigate why with PDF the behavior is different. 

Correct answer by
Level 2

Thanks Vikas, 

I actually think we've been misusing the "template" technology.  We upload layered psd files but don't need any of the associated "template" technology such as text editing or adding dynamic content into these images.  I've simply unchecked "create template" from my job options on upload, I think this should take care of the problem! 

I appreciate all your input, that final test is what lead me to (hopefully!) the answer to our issue. 

Thanks again!