Expand my Community achievements bar.

We are excited to introduce our latest innovation to enhance the Adobe Campaign user experience — the Adobe Campaign v8 Web User Interface!
SOLVED

sending emails from a customised table

Level 2

Hi there

Can I ask what implications does it have when you are NOT sending deliveries from the standard recipient table, but instead from a table that is 1:1 linked to the nms:recipient table?

Any particular impact on reporting or anything else that needs to be taken into account? Or not really any implications?

I'm still in the middle of designing table structure so any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Thanks David.. However I figure out there's a simpler solution to my problem (probably I didn't explain it very clearly in my initial post), so here is the update in case someone else run into the same scenario:

So I am still using the Recipient table (i.e. no new table is created), but obviously I still needed to extend the recipient table.

And then when it comes to data import, use Enrichment to 'Add data', and then define 'A link'. Select 'Define a collection' as the link type. Select 'Database schema' and 'nms:recipient' as the Target schema.

Next step is to 'Use a simple join'. Then in the Join conditions:

• Add email_address from the source file under Source column, and then '@email' in the Target column.
  • Add the internal name of the recipient folder to the Source column, and then '[folder/@name] in the Target column.  ---> this is the key step, as it tells AC to check if this email address exist in this specific recipient folder or not. If it doesn't, even if the same email can be found in other recipient folders across the same instance, it will still insert as a new record in this recipient folder. And this is what I need.

Then after Enrichment, add the Update data activity. Make sure the Record identification is set to 'Using reconciliation keys' and add both folder name and email in the Keys for finding records list.

So the end result is that if abc@test.com come onboard, AC will check if this email exists in the TEST01 recipient folder. If it does not, it will insert it, even though TEST02 recipient folders contains abc@test.com in the same AC instance.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

There is a section in the docs dedicated ton using a custom recipient table. Please have a look at it, from this page: Introduction​, and the related pages available on the left.

Can you share more of your use case as usually the common thing to do is not to create a link with nms:recipients but rather to create a dedicated target mapping.

Let me know,

Florent

Level 2

That section is helpful - thanks for pointing me to it.

By quickly skimming the introduction, it seems that using a non-standard recipient table can cause a few problems if there's a need to use Services and Subscriptions or Social Marketing module in the system in the future (so not very much future-proof).

Let me share my use case here:

Let's say the overall business is called ABC, and they have a business unit or department called XYZ.

ABC has an existing AC instance (hosted by Adobe), and XYZ will onboard to the same instance soon.

• The client require the data from XYZ do not mix with ABC data.
  • Email address is the only unique identifier in XYZ data.
  • Client confirms that there will be an overlap of email addresses between XYZ and ABC. So joe.smith@email.com can exist in both XYZ and ABC data.

If all XYZ and ABC data are going to be stored in the same recipient table, the newer records will overwrite some older records if they share the same email addresses, which is not something I want.

That's why I am considering to build a new table, and store the XYZ recipients in this table.

But is there a better way to do so? Ideally I want to keep the XYZ contacts in the default recipient table but somehow they will not overwrite the existing or future ABC contacts.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated!

Level 3

Hi,

You have to follow these steps :

- data partitioning: create a folder for your business unit with entities needed (recipients, campaign management,  operator)

- user access: grant the access to the folder only to your XYZ users. They can access all data and objects within the folder for which they have access to.

- Advanced restriction using sysfilter to enforce the folder dependency on a source schema.

Thanks

Correct answer by
Level 2

Thanks David.. However I figure out there's a simpler solution to my problem (probably I didn't explain it very clearly in my initial post), so here is the update in case someone else run into the same scenario:

So I am still using the Recipient table (i.e. no new table is created), but obviously I still needed to extend the recipient table.

And then when it comes to data import, use Enrichment to 'Add data', and then define 'A link'. Select 'Define a collection' as the link type. Select 'Database schema' and 'nms:recipient' as the Target schema.

Next step is to 'Use a simple join'. Then in the Join conditions:

• Add email_address from the source file under Source column, and then '@email' in the Target column.
  • Add the internal name of the recipient folder to the Source column, and then '[folder/@name] in the Target column.  ---> this is the key step, as it tells AC to check if this email address exist in this specific recipient folder or not. If it doesn't, even if the same email can be found in other recipient folders across the same instance, it will still insert as a new record in this recipient folder. And this is what I need.

Then after Enrichment, add the Update data activity. Make sure the Record identification is set to 'Using reconciliation keys' and add both folder name and email in the Keys for finding records list.

So the end result is that if abc@test.com come onboard, AC will check if this email exists in the TEST01 recipient folder. If it does not, it will insert it, even though TEST02 recipient folders contains abc@test.com in the same AC instance.

Hope this helps.