Expand my Community achievements bar.

We are excited to introduce our latest innovation to enhance the Adobe Campaign user experience — the Adobe Campaign v8 Web User Interface!
SOLVED

Is there a maximum number of profiles that can receive a delivery before impacting deliverability?

Level 2

Hi,

I was wondering, is there a maximum number of profiles that should receive a single send of a delivery? Or is there a recommended limit to the number of people that should receive a delivery in one send? (e.g. 200k, 300k, etc.) I'm just concerned that if sending out an email to say, 600k people at once, there may be challenges with deliverability.

Thanks a lot!

Danny Diaz

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Danny,

They all hold true even if you are using ACS.

1. Can you clarify what an MTA node / MTA server is? MTA stands for Message Transfer Agent and is responsible for shooting out emails to the target audience.

2. For ACS, are the sending IPs already determined? Yes. If your instance is hosted with Adobe, you can reach out to support for more information.

4. Do you have any suggestions on how to clean up my database of profiles to remove spam trap addresses? Check for active addresses by seeing if they are interacting with your emails. Spam traps need to be determined with help from deliverability experts. It is a paid engagement.

5. Can you elaborate a bit more by what you mean "Send email in waves"? I know that when I send an email to hundreds of thousands of people from ACS, it does seem to send in waves already (e.g. even if I set the delivery time to 8am not everyone will receive it at 8am of course). There is no Waves feature in ACS

6. Is there a way to see the size of the email in ACS before sending? I sent a test message to myself in Outlook and saved it to see the size. Yes, that is the way currently possible in ACS. In ACC, if you preview it gives you the size but not in ACS

Regards,

Vipul

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 1

Hey Danny,

it will depend on your typology rules. If you have any typology rule set to limit your deliveries based on your capacity to handle the possible income messages that you'll receive after the delivery, it could be applied to your workflow or adhoc communication (if you want).

In the other hand, if there are no typology rules set, I assume that you won't have any limitations of that kind:

Source: https://docs.campaign.adobe.com/doc/AC/en/CMP_Campaign_Optimization_Consistency_rules.html

Regards,

Lucas.

Employee Advisor

Hi daniel.diaz,

Theoretically, there is no limit on the number of profiles you can contact within a single email delivery and also there are no best practices around it. Ut all boils down to the kind of infrastructure you have. Please refer to following points which will provide additional guidance

1. The number of MTA nodes you have setup. It falls in the infrastructure category. If you have the hardware then you should have multiple MTA servers to distribute the sending loads. Larger the number of MTA servers, lesser the time to reach out to your target audience
  2. The number of sending IPs: Greater your audience, you should probably think on setting up more sending IPs.
  3. The reputation of sending IPs: If proper IP warm-up has been done and you have not been spamming customers, your sending Ip reputation will be good and all ISPs or email providers will give you good reception on sending emails.
  4. MX Rules: Each domain have a set of rules for receiving connections and messaging limit per hour from ESP like Campaign. Please respect that. Imagine if Gmail accepts on 1000 emails per hour (hypothetically speaking) and if you targeted 50,000 emails of GMAIL base in a single delivery, you will receive throttling from GMAIL. This will further delay the sending.
  5. Profile Hygiene: Check if your profile base is taken from the trusted source. If not, you will be sending emails to fake/incorrect IDs and might get blacklisted from ISPs if the number of errors is too much. If your profile base contains spam trap addresses, it can be catastrophic
  6. Send email in Waves
  7. Email size is small ~ 60 to 65 KB.
  8. No attachments in email

This is not an exhaustive list but a good starting point.

Regards,
Vipul

Level 2

Hi Lucas,

I'm not sure I understand completely. I should have also mentioned I'm using Adobe Campaign Standard. I do have typology rules applied (e.g. to filter out people who have unsubscribed or people who have not opened an email in 6 months). Also for my usage of ACS, I don't have anyone replying to the emails. So in that case, is there any consequence to sending out a mass email to 700k users at once?

Thanks for your help!

Danny

Level 2

Hi Vipul,

Thanks a lot for your detailed response! Sorry I should have mentioned before that I'm using Adobe Campaign Standard. Does that impact any of your points #1-8?

1. Can you clarify what an MTA node / MTA server is?

2. For ACS, are the sending IPs already determined?

4. Do you have any suggestions on how to clean up my database of profiles to remove spam trap addresses?

5. Can you elaborate a bit more by what you mean "Send email in waves"? I know that when I send an email to hundreds of thousands of people from ACS, it does seem to send in waves already (e.g. even if I set the delivery time to 8am not everyone will receive it at 8am of course).

6. Is there a way to see the size of the email in ACS before sending? I sent a test message to myself in Outlook and saved it to see the size.

Thanks for all your help!!

Danny

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Danny,

They all hold true even if you are using ACS.

1. Can you clarify what an MTA node / MTA server is? MTA stands for Message Transfer Agent and is responsible for shooting out emails to the target audience.

2. For ACS, are the sending IPs already determined? Yes. If your instance is hosted with Adobe, you can reach out to support for more information.

4. Do you have any suggestions on how to clean up my database of profiles to remove spam trap addresses? Check for active addresses by seeing if they are interacting with your emails. Spam traps need to be determined with help from deliverability experts. It is a paid engagement.

5. Can you elaborate a bit more by what you mean "Send email in waves"? I know that when I send an email to hundreds of thousands of people from ACS, it does seem to send in waves already (e.g. even if I set the delivery time to 8am not everyone will receive it at 8am of course). There is no Waves feature in ACS

6. Is there a way to see the size of the email in ACS before sending? I sent a test message to myself in Outlook and saved it to see the size. Yes, that is the way currently possible in ACS. In ACC, if you preview it gives you the size but not in ACS

Regards,

Vipul