Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!

Can we call url shortening api while sending adobe tracked links in sms deliveries

Level 5

Hi Team,

We have a use case, in which we need to track short URL added as a link in SMS deliveries. Currently, the SMS Vendor does not have the capability of tracking the links. As a part of the solution, we have an URL Shortening utility which basically shorts URL before sending the SMS delivery. This is achieved by using javascript activity in the workflow. Tracking of the urls generated is being maintained by another system but not ACM.

We are aware that ACM tracks the link in SMS by activating tracking, but the URL received has the branding of adobe and also the length of the URL is variable. Can we call the URL shortening api after the tracked link is calculated. Will api calling be feasible in typology.

with regards,

Richa Chaubey

6 Replies

Employee

Hi Richa,

Please find a POC for the same shared by one of the forum Members David : david_garcia

acc_shortening_links_bitly_api_david_garcia.docx - Google Drive

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Adhiyan

Level 5

Hi Adhiyan,

Thanks for sharing the POC.

Currently, we are using the same approach, but we also have a requirement to track the bitly's generated using the API call. Whenever we enable tracking within the SMS deliveries the link changes to a long URL having Adobe branding.

Can we track the SMS deliveries with bitly URLs (without the Adobe tracking code appended)?

with regards,

Richa Chaubey

Level 4

Hi Richa,

I remember we looked into using third party services for short links, but didn't find any attractive options. Plus we'd lose out on the possibility to have company specific short urls for most of them.

What we did was to create our own solution that allows our clients to use a url on their company domain for short urls. That endpoint then routes the requests to an ACC jssp (together with an id as parameter). That id can then used to locate the delivery/recipient/message and the destination link (the ids being stored/generated when executing the delivery).

Regards,

Jonas

Level 5

Hi Jonas,

Thanks for the update, were those links generated by third-party service being tracked by Adobe Campaign, if yes can you let me know the solution being implemented.

with regards,

Richa Chaubey

Level 4

Hi Richa,

No as I mentioned we built our own solution instead of using any third party service.

What we did was to route incoming requests to a specific endpoint (say "s.company.com" or "company.com/s", something short on a domain you/the company has access to) including their parameters (an own defined/short ID) to a AC JSSP. The ID is established in AC before the delivery is sent out, each recipient will get a unique ID per short url that is stored in AC.

Hope it makes sense

Regards,

Jonas

Level 5

Hi Jonas,

It will be helpful if you can share an approach document.

Also please let me know how did you modify the NmsTracking_ClickFormula to achieve this?

with regards,

Richa Chaubey