Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!

Behaviour of Enable but do not execute option in Right Click menu of Workflow Activities?

Level 7

Hello Folks,

What does "Enable but do not execute" option will do if applied on an Recurring Delivery.

Here is the detailed thing, what i have done:

I have an automated campaign workflow, where i selected Enable but do not execute on delivery, to check whether target i am fetching is correct or not. I restarted the workflow by choosing Execute Pending Tasks in Scheduler, execution completed and gave me expected target result. Now i reverted back the option i kept on Delivery to Normal Execution and saved the workflow. But when workflow ran at scheduled time, I received the email twice instead of once

So would like to understand, is it something happened with the option i chosen (or) do i need to do certain things after executing pending tasks like restart the scheduler? Because I am assuming it will continue to execute as usual at scheduled time, 

Please help me with your pointers!

Thanks,

Sri Bhargav

4 Replies

Level 8

Hi SriBhargav94​,

Enable but do not execute:

When you configure an activity with this option the workflow will execute until this activity. In other words, the current activity will not be executed and the workflow will keep the temporary worktable of previous activity intact for data review.

You need follow steps to avoid the issues what you mentioned:

Purge the logs when they are not needed anymore. Workflow history is not purged automatically: all messages are kept by default. History can be purged via the File > Actions menu or by clicking the Actions button located in the toolbar above the list. Select Purge history.

Do not use the ‘Keep Interim Results’ option in a workflow properties on a production environment.

This option is used to analyze the results and is designed only for testing purposes and hence must be used only on dev or staging environments.

Avoid having disabled activities with flows going into them in your workflows. This leaves threads open and leads to many temporary tables that can consume a lot of space. Do not keep activities in ‘Do not enable’ or ‘Enable but do not execute’ states in your workflows.

Available in the Execution tab of workflow properties, the Log SQL queries in the journal option will log all SQL queries generated by the tool from the different activities. It is a good way to see what is actually executed by the platform. However, this option should only be used temporarily during development and not activated on production.

Hope it helps

Regards,

Venu

Level 7

Thanks Venu for information.

Regards,

Sri Bhargav

Community Advisor

Hi,

Check the workflow's audit log for information about how activities are executed and when.

Delivery logs may also be helpful here.

Thanks,

-Jon

Level 7

Thanks Wodnicki,

Here are my order of workflow activities:

Scheduler -> JS -> Data Loading -> Enrichment -> Change Dimension -> Recurring Delivery.

When workflow started, below is the execution order that happened:

JS

Recurring Delivery (assuming that it got executed because of the temp data which is already stored in workflow (I didn't purged or restarted workflow after the test for target count),

File Import

Enrichment

Recurring Delivery

Will take care of purging temp data or restarting the workflow going forward.

Regards,

Sri Bhargav