Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

SMS too long error while sending sms

Level 2

Hi All,

I am getting the below error while sending sms

BhaskarJC_0-1690987230730.png

I have increased the maximum number of SMSes to 5 (we have only 375 characters in the sms) but I am still getting the error.

I kindly request you to please let me know why this error has occurred. Because of this our whole SMS communication has stopped

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

SMS
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@BhaskarJC ,

By default, the number of characters in an SMS meets the GSM standards.

SMS messages using GSM encoding are limited to 160 characters, or 153 characters per SMS for messages sent in multiple parts.

NOTE: Certain characters count as two (braces, square brackets, the euro symbol, etc.).

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 6

Hi @BhaskarJC ,

Can you confirm what encoding you are using for SMS sending, you can check the your SMS external account.

Messages containing one or more UCS-2 characters can contain up to 70 characters in a single, non-segmented message. UCS-2 messages of more than 70 characters will be split into 67-character segments.

Please decrease the character length and try to send the SMS first and then you can troubleshoot the issue.

Regards

Abhishek

Community Advisor

Hi Abhishek,

You can try using the following site to figure out how many characters and sms are needed for the text you are sending.

https://burstsms.com/sms-character-counter

And as already mentioned, the encoding used decides the character limitation.

Thanks,

Deb

Level 2

The limit for a standard SMS text message is 160 characters.

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@BhaskarJC ,

By default, the number of characters in an SMS meets the GSM standards.

SMS messages using GSM encoding are limited to 160 characters, or 153 characters per SMS for messages sent in multiple parts.

NOTE: Certain characters count as two (braces, square brackets, the euro symbol, etc.).

Community Advisor

You might have special characters or emoticons in your sms, check online for text to bit calculator and find out how much it weights.

SMS messages use either 7-bit or 16-bit encoding. SMS messages sent with 7-bit encoding (ISO 8859-1 or ISO 8859-15) or are limited to 160 characters per message. SMS messages sent with 16-bit encoding (UTF-8) are limited to 70 characters per message. 16-bit encoding allows special characters.