Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Campaign User Groups are live now. Join our Adobe Campaign User Groups and connect with your local leaders!
SOLVED

HTML Email personalization

Level 5

Hi team, 

I have an html email with 3 columns in it which are basically features, and there is a column in my custom schema that has feature values.

For ex: Feature_Desc (column name) and each recipient may have 1 feature , 2 features or 3 features. 

Recipient  Feature_Desc

recipient1 feature1

recipient2 feature1,feature2

recipient3 feature1,feature2, feature3

Is there a way that I can show only 1 column if they have purchased only feature1 and 2 columns if they have purchased 2 features. Please suggest.

Thank you in advance. 

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adding to this answer by @niteshpandey 

You can add checks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
  <style>
    /* Add your styles here */
    .column {
      width: 33.33%;
      float: left;
      box-sizing: border-box;
      padding: 10px;
    }
  </style>
</head>
<body>

<!-- Repeat the following block for each recipient -->
<% if(targetData.feature1!=''){ %>
<div class="column">
  <h2>Recipient1</h2>
  <p>feature1</p>
</div>
<% } %>
<% if(targetData.feature2!=''){ %>
<div class="column">
  <h2>Recipient2</h2>
  <p>feature1</p>
  <p>feature2</p>
</div>
<% } %>
<% if(targetData.feature3!=''){ %>
<div class="column">
  <h2>Recipient3</h2>
  <p>feature1</p>
  <p>feature2</p>
  <p>feature3</p>
</div>
<% } %>
<!-- End of recipient blocks -->

</body>
</html>

Notice the if conditions where we are checking if the value of the feature flag is available to not.

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Employee

Hi @rvnth ,
You can achieve this dynamic column display in your HTML email based on the number of features a recipient has purchased. One way to implement this is by using conditional logic in your email template.

To implement this in a more dynamic and automated way, you may need to generate the HTML content dynamically based on the actual data in your custom schema using XML that can be used in your email template environment.

Below is an example of how you can structure your HTML to handle varying numbers of features:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
  <style>
    .column {
    }
  </style>
</head>
<body>

<div class="column">
  <h2>Recipient1</h2>
  <p>feature1</p>
</div>

<div class="column">
  <h2>Recipient2</h2>
  <p>feature1</p>
  <p>feature2</p>
</div>

<div class="column">
  <h2>Recipient3</h2>
  <p>feature1</p>
  <p>feature2</p>
  <p>feature3</p>
</div>

</body>
</html>

In this example, I've used CSS styling to create three columns. The recipient blocks are represented as <div> elements with the class "column". Inside each recipient block, you can dynamically include the features based on the recipient's purchase history.

Level 5

Thank you @niteshpandey . Would I be able to cover the below scenario

For ex: if I have purchased 2 features called feature1 & feature 2, then the email should show up the feature3 that which I have not purchased. 

So, i will end up creating multiple if else statements including all possibilities. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Employee

@rvnth  You can perform a check for each feature to determine whether it has been purchased by the recipient. If the feature has been purchased, it's displayed in green; otherwise, it's displayed in red. You can dynamically generate columns based on the recipient's data.
This way, you don't need to create multiple if-else statements for each possibility, and it will be more scalable as you can easily add or remove features without modifying the code structure significantly.

Level 5

@niteshpandey ,  when you have mentioned about dynamic HTML are you referring to the Personalization blocks. Please confirm

Level 5

Also, please can you explain about displayed in greed/red. I am not getting this point. 

Thank you in advance

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Adding to this answer by @niteshpandey 

You can add checks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
  <style>
    .column {
    }
  </style>
</head>
<body>

<% if(targetData.feature1!=''){ %>
<div class="column">
  <h2>Recipient1</h2>
  <p>feature1</p>
</div>
<% } %>
<% if(targetData.feature2!=''){ %>
<div class="column">
  <h2>Recipient2</h2>
  <p>feature1</p>
  <p>feature2</p>
</div>
<% } %>
<% if(targetData.feature3!=''){ %>
<div class="column">
  <h2>Recipient3</h2>
  <p>feature1</p>
  <p>feature2</p>
  <p>feature3</p>
</div>
<% } %>

</body>
</html>

Notice the if conditions where we are checking if the value of the feature flag is available to not.

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

Level 5

Hi @_Manoj_Kumar_ ,

Here feature1 is the value of the column called feature_desc in a features schema. will that work if I use the targetdata.feature1!=''?

Please suggest. Thank you in advance

Community Advisor

Hello @rvnth 

How the feature schema is linked with recipients? If it is 1:1 link then you can bring the field in targetdata via enrichment and use it like you mentioned

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

Level 5

Thank you for your reply @_Manoj_Kumar_ , I have a doubt here, why do i need to use an enrichment activity when I can load that data directly from add data option in the query activity and yes it has 1:1 link with the recipient table. Please can you explain the difference between these both. 

Community Advisor

Hello @rvnth 

If you have a 1:1 link then you can add the columns in the add data option in the query. Enrichment is not required in that case.

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

Level 5

if & else if

condition fails when a recipient purchases only single feature and if that is in third place 

first if will check if the condition is true and it will return that block but in my case it has to return the first feature block and 2nd feature block if the user has purchased the feature that is in 3rd feature block. 

Best,

Revanth

Community Advisor

Hello @rvnth 

The code I shared earlier is with If conditions only. 

Manoj
     Find me on LinkedIn

Level 5

Thank you for your reply @_Manoj_Kumar_ , I tried with if conditions only and then it started returning all the blocks instead of those blocks that needs to  be returned.

Best,

Revanth

Level 5

Hi @_Manoj_Kumar_ , 

it was working in the live scenario. Thank you for your help. 

Best,

Revanth