Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcing the launch of new sub-community for Campaign Web UI to cater specifically to the needs of Campaign Web UI users!
SOLVED

How can I identify the source of traffic to a web application?

Level 3

Hi there,

As is the norm for email deliveries, we always include an unsubscription link in the footer of each delivery. This unsubscription links takes the recipient to a Campaign web application where they can manage their preferences, opt-in/out etc.

What I want to be able to do is whenever a recipient opts-out, identify the source from which they came. Specifically I want to identify the delivery that contained the unsubscription link they clicked on.

I've read the documentation related to tracking in web applications here:

Tracking a web application

I'm still not sure how to configure the delivery or web application so that I can identify the source nor do I know how I can then report on it.

Can anyone recommend an approach here?

Thanks,

Cg

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

Yep what you have is correct:

1. Add <%= message.id %> to the unsub link's url, no further effort if in personalization block
  2. Record opt-ins/outs on completion page of web app, inserting into a new table rows with broadlog-id/message-id, subscription-id, opt-in/out, time
  3. Optionally change cubes, reports, delivery aggregates to compute opt-outs using new table instead of _type="optout" in unsub link

Thanks,

-Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

> As is the norm for email deliveries, we always include an unsubscription link in the footer of each delivery

Not just the norm, it's the law: CAN-SPAM Act: A Compliance Guide for Business | Federal Trade Commission

To mark unsub links for tracking and reporting, add  _type="optout" to the <a> element of the link.

Thanks,

-Jon

Level 3

Thanks Jon.

We have marked the opt-out links in our deliveries however a click on these links doesn't necessarily mean the user has followed through with an unsubscribe.

The link in our case takes the user to a landing page (Preference centre) where the user can then opt in/out of one or more subscriptions.

What we'd like to track (probably from the Preference centre) is:

1) The traffic source (name of the delivery) that the user came from in order to land on the preference centre.

2) The opt-ins/outs from each subscription type that followed once the user landed on the preference centre.

I was considering appending an identifier to the unsubscription link (delivery name maybe) that I could then pass back to Campaign whenever the user opts in/out of a given subscription but thought there might be some OOB tracking functionality that could achieve what is needed with less effort.

Thanks,

Cg

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi,

Yep what you have is correct:

1. Add <%= message.id %> to the unsub link's url, no further effort if in personalization block
  2. Record opt-ins/outs on completion page of web app, inserting into a new table rows with broadlog-id/message-id, subscription-id, opt-in/out, time
  3. Optionally change cubes, reports, delivery aggregates to compute opt-outs using new table instead of _type="optout" in unsub link

Thanks,

-Jon

Level 3

Thanks Jon. Will look into what you have suggested.

Cg