Expand my Community achievements bar.

AAM - ID Sync FAQ explanation

Level 3

Hi,

Can anyone please help in understanding below point number one in Adobe documentation. What is the duration after which data is available for targeting when ID Sync is done after file upload If the data provider is configured to use Profile Merge Rules for cross-device targeting ?

I am using last authenticated profile merge rule with cross device data source. Uploaded a file with 100 Ids. As per below explanation I did ID Sync for 3 ids after file upload and later created a Target activity qualifying those 3 Ids. However it doesn't work for those 3 Ids. It is working file for all the other Ids for which ID Sync was done before file upload.

Can anyone please help me understand  how below explained scenario works ?

Inbound Customer Data Ingestion FAQ

Can I upload an inbound data file (.sync or .overwrite file) before deploying Audience Manager code into production?

• 1. If the data provider is configured to use Profile Merge Rules for cross-device targeting, the data available for targeting shortly after an ID sync identifies to the matching Audience Manager visitor ID.

Thanks !

3 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hello There,

After successfully uploading data into AAM, backend jobs take 48hours to process this data and get it rendered onto UI which is the same case for data being available for targeting purposes.

It is always advised that we should perform ID sync first before uploading data into AAM.

In above mentioned scenario, as you performed the ID sync after data upload, these 3 users will not be account for trait/segment population in AAM due to which you are not seeing desired experience for given users.

To get things sorted, please follow below steps:

1. Perform ID sync for all the users

2. Upload data.

3. Wait for 48hours for this data to be available for targeting.

4. Now try to access your website for any of the user.

The highlighted statement "If the data provider is configured to use Profile Merge Rules for cross-device targeting, the data available for targeting shortly after an ID sync identifies to the matching Audience Manager visitor ID." represents the scenario where same user is coming from multiple devices in that situation an ID sync from a new device will help in syncing the user from rest of its linked device but in situations where no device is present for a user then the statement does not work in the same way.

If you would like us to investigate more on this, please raise a ticket with us via amsupport@adobe.com so that we can investigate this scenario in further detail by checking for the 3 specific users and their ID sync.

Level 3

Hello there,

I did a test to understand how it actually works and what is meant by "If the data provider is configured to use Profile Merge Rules for cross-device targeting, the data available for targeting shortly after an ID sync identifies to the matching Audience Manager visitor ID" " in Adobe documentation.

I uploaded a file ( for a cross device - customer ID Inbound data source) with 100 Ids (rows). I did ID sync for 10 of them before file upload. After (24 -48 hours) file upload I was able to target those 10 users ( based on their on boarded traits) as expected.

Later I did ID Sync for another 5 Ids and did not upload file again. I was able to target these 5 Ids as well after 24 -48 hours of Id sync without need of uploading the file for the second time. This makes above statement in Adobe documentation much more clearer now.

Thanks.