Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Why is Google.com listed as Other Websites and Search in Referral Types Report?

Level 2

Hello,

Why do I see Google as a referrer listed under Other Websites in the Referral Types report? Shouldn't Google be only in the Search category? If not, why?

Is there some way to adjust/reconfigure the settings to prevent this spillover and tighten up the traffic categorization?

Thanks,

Walter

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi Walter,

As per http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/reference/index.html#Referrer_Type_Report

"Search Engine: Search engine referrers are recorded when visitors use a search engine to access your site. The referring value must be considered by Adobe to be a search engine, and cannot be a subdomain that is not considered a search engine (e.g. mail.google.com is not a search engine since that's their Gmail domain)."

So Google is listed under other website means that referrer might not be coming from Google search but from other subdomains of google like gmail, etc.

Let me know if it helps you. You can also mark it as closed.

Thanks

Akhil

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi Walter,

As per http://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/reference/index.html#Referrer_Type_Report

"Search Engine: Search engine referrers are recorded when visitors use a search engine to access your site. The referring value must be considered by Adobe to be a search engine, and cannot be a subdomain that is not considered a search engine (e.g. mail.google.com is not a search engine since that's their Gmail domain)."

So Google is listed under other website means that referrer might not be coming from Google search but from other subdomains of google like gmail, etc.

Let me know if it helps you. You can also mark it as closed.

Thanks

Akhil