Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.

Why does the Approximate Distinct Count not match the number of rows of what I am counting?

Level 3

I have created a custom metric using Approximate Distinct Count for my member IDs.

I wanted to validate that this lines up with the number of Member IDs who are clicking a CTA, so I created two tables - one with this distinct count metric, and one with the unique visitors metric. Both are broken down by my member Id dimension.

But what I am noticing is that the distinct count metric doesn't actually give a number which is the same as the number of IDs, am I missing something? Is there a way to get that, and if not, what is it actually giving me?

Here is an example where I compare the distinct count to the unique visitors metrics.

distinct_count.png

Evidently, the number I was expected for the distinct count was 187 - as there are 187 IDs which interacted with this CTA - I also confirmed this by extracting the data into excel. So where are the additional 5 coming from? What is 192? Is there a way to simply report on the 187? I understand this is already available in that table view, but when I create free-form tables with multiple columns, I can no longer use that figure because it will be for the unique user IDs across all of the columns/ctas/pages that I am reporting on.
Also, here is how I created the metric:

asdf12341z_1-1715922097283.png

1 Reply

Community Advisor

As the function name implied, it is "approximated" and not an exact count, and you can find a description and difference from the basic count function at Reference advanced functions | Adobe Analytics. It uses an algorithm called HyperLogLog, HyperLogLog - Wikipedia, for performance by sacrificing some level of accuracy.