Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

What's the difference between this calculated metric and the 'metrics/visits' metric?

Level 1

(I had asked this question yesterday, but I accidentally marked someone's reply as a solution, but it wasn't)

I've been working with a client trying to ingest their Analytics data using the 'Data Warehouse' feature, but was seeing some discrepancies.

Under the 'workspace' tab, the client created a report. I noticed that when they use the 'visits' metric, they are using a calculated metric (ID: cm300005330_5d9cb1dd961e9c361a903f2a) instead of 'metrics/visits.'

Here is the cm definition I receive from the API:

{
	"rsid": <removed>,
	"reportSuiteName": <removed>,
	"id": "cm300005330_5d9cb1dd961e9c361a903f2a",
	"name": "Visits",
	"description": "",
	"polarity": "positive",
	"precision": 0,
	"type": "decimal",
	"definition": {
		"formula": {
			"func": "metric",
			"name": "metrics/visits",
			"description": "Visits"
		},
		"func": "calc-metric",
		"version": [
		]
	},
	"compatibility": {
		"identityMetrics": [{
			"identity": "metrics/visits"
		}],
		"validator_version": "1.0.0",
		"supported_products": [
			"oberon",
			"frag"
		],
		"supported_schema": [
			"schema_oberon",
			"schema_frag"
		]
	},
	"categories": [
		"Calculated Metrics"
	],
	"tags": []
}

So when I compare the report the client built in the UI with the data I exported with Data Warehouse, the 'visits' don't match up, but the 'page_views' metric does match.

The UI report uses these: calculated metric 'cm300005330_5d9cb1dd961e9c361a903f2a,'  and 'metrics/pageviews'

Whereas the Data Warehouse export I built uses 'metrics/visits' and 'metrics/pageviews'.

I'm looking at the calculated metric and it looks like it's just a wrapper around the 'metrics/visits' metric. it's not adding or removing anything. Am I missing something?

In my previous post, someone mentioned trying to use the 'all visits' metric, but the data was still way off for the visits field. Also Unique Visits metric doesn't match either.

Lemme know if you need any more info. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@samlehman2 

There is a setting at the backend for each report suite which ensures that both data warehouse and workspace data match all the time.

You can reach out to client care with organization and report suite details. Technical support engineer can check if this setting is enabled or not and enable it accordingly for you, which will ensure both data ware house report match with the corresponding / same report when create in workspace.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 1

So I built a simple report in the workspace using both the metric and the computed metric, and both match each other. But if I compare it to what the Data Warehouse exported, the DW number is way higher.

For example, the workspace says the 'mobile phone' under the mobile device dimension has 688,717 visits, but the Data Warehouse export shows 853,254.

Does it have to do anything with the DW export being more granular? 

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

@samlehman2 

There is a setting at the backend for each report suite which ensures that both data warehouse and workspace data match all the time.

You can reach out to client care with organization and report suite details. Technical support engineer can check if this setting is enabled or not and enable it accordingly for you, which will ensure both data ware house report match with the corresponding / same report when create in workspace.

Employee Advisor

Try using Visits (All Visitors) metric in Data Warehouse.

Level 1

Hello @Khurshid_Alam ,

I tried using 'Visits (All Visitors)' and the numbers are still way off.

For example, when comparing the Devices column, the workshop report says the visits for Mobile Phone are 688,717, but the data warehouse says 854,641.