Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

What is the counter(no sunbrelations) in success events type setting?

Level 3

For the success events type settings, there is two types of choices, one is regular, another is non-subrelations, what's is the difference, and how it use? Is there any examples?

DebbyNPL_1-1646723101201.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

First of all I think this documentation is obsolete https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/reports-analytics/customize-reports/subrel... . The reason is that it relates to Reports tab so the old reporting feature of Adobe Analytics (inherited from SiteCatalyst).

Nowadays you should use Analysis Workspace instead of Reports. Most legacy limitations and specific configurations do not apply anymore so the setting Counter (No subrelations) does not apply I believe...

You should check this documentation for events and the different types: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/custom-events.html?lang=en

and this one https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/page-vars/events/events-overvi...

So you are correct when you say that counter events can increment a value by more than one but the value needs to be an Integer. By default if you do not specify a value for the counter event it will be incremented by one, but in some cases you would want to increment it by more than one:

// Count event1 ten times
s.events = "event1=10";

// Count event1 twice and event2 once
s.events = "event1=2,event2";

Now the difference between counter and numeric:

- counter only accept Integer values (so without decimals) where numeric accept float values (with decimals) and also Integer .

Now the difference between numeric and currency type. Both accept float values and integer value but unlike numeric type, currency will also convert the value provided once received based on the report suite currency type. So if in your code you specify the value in dollars and your report suite is configured to use British pounds then it will convert your dollar value to the conversion rate of British pound on that day.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Dear DebbyNPL,

Unfortunately, I have never questioned this till now though I have seen this 'n' number of times in my experience. Hope you know what is subrelations in Adobe Analytics, if not go through the link here. So, it should be something to do with that. Like, if you have selected the Counter (no subrelations), then the event would not give credit to the persistent values (here, eVars), but never validated.

Try validating the same and share your experience with the community. Would be a good exercise for you too

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics

PS: Unable to forgive myself that I never tried or validated the event type till now.

Level 3

hahahaha, thanks PratheepArunRaj, 

Actually, I have tried to to build the subrelations in the classification, but it seems like can not choose the events but only eVars.... 

That's why i asked this question here. 

Additionally, do you know the difference between counter and numeric? I have read the document already link , however for my practice, the counter can also increment metrics by more than one.... 

Community Advisor

Dear DebbyNPL,

Subrelations and Classifications are two different topics. Yes, for any eVar subrelations stand is logical, but for an event, it should be related to the credit attribution and that was my point earlier. Let me check the same from my end and update you if possible, but after  Adobe Summit.

Aside, the counter type cannot increment the metrics more than one for sure, because we need just can set the event in the syntax "event1", however, for the number type we would have the syntax as "event1=1" where the incrementer can be anything on our wish.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow DigitalTerryn Winter Analytics

Level 3

That's the question..... I'm very sure that i have already set the event type as counter. But the events still growth by value. And the syntax was received as "event1=1111" in the debugger for sure. I set the value of event 1 as 1111 in the debugger, that's why i asked this question.

DebbyNPL_0-1646809048386.png

DebbyNPL_1-1646809078109.png

Community Advisor

Dear DebbyNPL,

This means, irrespective of the event type selection in the Admin interface if the syntax is set based on numeric event type, it is considered numeric. That's not great!

I would request you to raise this to Adobe Customer Care and inform the engineering team.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow Digital | Terryn Winter Analytics

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

First of all I think this documentation is obsolete https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/analyze/reports-analytics/customize-reports/subrel... . The reason is that it relates to Reports tab so the old reporting feature of Adobe Analytics (inherited from SiteCatalyst).

Nowadays you should use Analysis Workspace instead of Reports. Most legacy limitations and specific configurations do not apply anymore so the setting Counter (No subrelations) does not apply I believe...

You should check this documentation for events and the different types: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/components/metrics/custom-events.html?lang=en

and this one https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/implementation/vars/page-vars/events/events-overvi...

So you are correct when you say that counter events can increment a value by more than one but the value needs to be an Integer. By default if you do not specify a value for the counter event it will be incremented by one, but in some cases you would want to increment it by more than one:

// Count event1 ten times
s.events = "event1=10";

// Count event1 twice and event2 once
s.events = "event1=2,event2";

Now the difference between counter and numeric:

- counter only accept Integer values (so without decimals) where numeric accept float values (with decimals) and also Integer .

Now the difference between numeric and currency type. Both accept float values and integer value but unlike numeric type, currency will also convert the value provided once received based on the report suite currency type. So if in your code you specify the value in dollars and your report suite is configured to use British pounds then it will convert your dollar value to the conversion rate of British pound on that day.

Hope this helps