Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

What does visit_start_page_url = 1 in clickstream stand for

Level 4

In our clickstream data the visit_start_page_url is often the first url of the visit and sometimes it a number like "1" and "3".

The datafeed reference says it is the first url of the visit.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/analytics/export/analytics-data-feed/data-feed-contents/data...

What do the digits represent?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

That's a good question.. I can't find any reference to this... 

Do you have mobile app data in your suite (where maybe the URL isn't being set), or maybe the first "hit" of the visit was on a click where the URL is stripped?

Is there any other contextual data in the row that might help diagnosing why you are getting a numerical value instead of a URL? Do you have any processing rules or vista rules that might be overriding some values?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

That's a good question.. I can't find any reference to this... 

Do you have mobile app data in your suite (where maybe the URL isn't being set), or maybe the first "hit" of the visit was on a click where the URL is stripped?

Is there any other contextual data in the row that might help diagnosing why you are getting a numerical value instead of a URL? Do you have any processing rules or vista rules that might be overriding some values?

Employee Advisor

@valerie_anders- Could it be a possibility that we are reading data incorrectly? While reading, the value from some other column probably shifted to visit_start_page_url giving an impression that visit_start_page_url=1, it could be a value from columns like visit_page_num or visit_num showing up in that column. Just a thought! If you think that's not the case, try reaching out to Customer Care for further investigation. It will be really interesting to know what that is, as I haven't seen it yet.

Level 1

What is the official Adobe definition of "visit start page url"? I cannot find any hard language within Adobes documentation around this dimension.

It is very important for me to understand the meanings of "visit start page url" and "Page URL" dimensions and how they are different. Both are supported in Data Warehouse but are unclear in how they are different.

Community Advisor

visit_start_page_url is defined in the Data Feed Column Reference:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/export/analytics-data-feed/data-feed-contents/d...

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1711983673711.png

"visit_start_page_url" is the first url recorded during a visit. The same value should be on ALL hits within the same visit.

"page_url" on the other hand is the URL of the page you are on, this will change on every hit to reflect the current page.