Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Visits across segment doesn't add up?

Level 1

Hi,

I have a segment 1- User type equal to A, and another segment 2- User Type does not equal to A.

I am checking if the Visit report (without segment)  = Visit (segment 1) + Visit (Segment 2), and it turns out that Visit (without segment) < Visit (segment 1) + Visit (segment 2) across different months.

Is there an explanation for this discrepancy? 

Let me know if i should provide additional information.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Tiffany,

Those two segments that you have created are not mutually exclusive. One thing to remember is that segment var=ABC, is not the opposite of segment var!=ABC

Let me elaborate:

• Consider there is a visit where there are 2 hits.
  • The first hit doesn't have User Type defined.
  • The second hit has User Type = A

segment 1: User Type = A (container = Visit)

• The condition User Type is being checked on each hit of every visit which falls under the selected date range.
  • The first hit will not match the condition. It moves on to the second hit.
  • The second hit matches the condition, so it takes in the visit, which contains both hits. It moves on.

segment 2: User Type != A (container = Visit)

• The condition User Type is being checked on each hit of every visit which falls under the selected date range.
  • The first hit will match the condition, so it takes in the visit, which contains both hits. Then it moves on.
  • The second hit doesn't match the condition. It moves on.

Here the same visit is being satisfied by both the segments.

If you are looking for visits which never contained a hit with User Type = A, then the create the following segment:

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Hi Tiffany,

Those two segments that you have created are not mutually exclusive. One thing to remember is that segment var=ABC, is not the opposite of segment var!=ABC

Let me elaborate:

• Consider there is a visit where there are 2 hits.
  • The first hit doesn't have User Type defined.
  • The second hit has User Type = A

segment 1: User Type = A (container = Visit)

• The first hit will not match the condition. It moves on to the second hit.
  • The second hit matches the condition, so it takes in the visit, which contains both hits. It moves on.

segment 2: User Type != A (container = Visit)

• The first hit will match the condition, so it takes in the visit, which contains both hits. Then it moves on.
  • The second hit doesn't match the condition. It moves on.

Here the same visit is being satisfied by both the segments.

If you are looking for visits which never contained a hit with User Type = A, then the create the following segment:

Hope this helps.