Expand my Community achievements bar.

Basic Functions in Calculated Metrics - Use Cases

Level 1

Hello,

I am looking to better understand the basic functions of calculated metrics. What are some examples of the below functions being used in Adobe Analytics?

Absolute Value

Column Sum (freeform tables normally give you that data anyways?)

Count

Exponent

Exponentiation

Modulo

Thank you!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Community Advisor

Hi,

Absolute Value

This would be used more in conjunction with other functions and calculations, this will force the resulting value to always be "positive".

So if I was calculating something where my values may result in positive or negative numbers as time goes on... I may want to just show the absolute difference (not worry about showing positive or negative values), I could put the calculation inside of Absolute value to just get show the "difference" regardless of the direction (positive or negative)

Column Sum (freeform tables normally give you that data anyways?)

Yes, and no... freeform tables do show you the total, but for metrics like Visits or Unique Visitors for example, the total is de-duplicated. Column Sum allows you to get a non-de-duplicated total, if you needed it (possibly more relevant for custom events that might stack)

Count

Within the context of your Freeform table, this will get you the count of the rows within that visualization. So if I were to create a table that was broken down by day, it's the 17th, so my count would show "17", tomorrow it would be "18"... but you could use this on any breakdown... such as "product names", count would return the total number of unique names that were collected in your reporting period. 

This is again, another one of those metrics that can be used as part of creating some complex math equations in your calculated metrics (like maybe in a weighted average).

Exponent / Exponentiation

I haven't used these specifically, Exponent raises "e" (2.71828....) to the power of the the value you pass.... its basically (without getting too technical) part of modelling growth / decline.

Similar to Exponent, which is based on "e", Exponential is an extension of this for comparing metrics within your modelling.

Modulo

This returns the remainder when you divide two numbers together, so let's say you do:

22/7 or 23/7

On their own, 22/7 is approximately 3.14; and 23/7 is approximately 3.29.

But, maybe you need the remainder, so the Modulo would be:

22/7 = 1 (7 goes into 22, 3 full times, the remainder is 1)

23/7 = 3 (7 goes into 23, 3 full times, the remainder is 2)