Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Visitor Click Map

Level 4

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all good. I regularly receive questions regarding the Visitor ClickMap Overlay Plugin. This is a tool a tend to avoid myself, but other teams seem to have a taste for it. Our ClickMap was implemented before my time, but ObjectID appears to be being set (using the URL), however, despite this overlays do often seem to have a mind of their own and clicks often appear lower than I'd expect in the tool.

I have some questions about ClickMap and would generally like to get a sense of what users think of this tool - does anyone use it? is it even still supported by Adobe (the interface looks pretty old)?

Does anyone know how click map responds to a responsive site? If links appear differently on different devices (i.e. a left hand nav becomes a drop down on mobile), how does click map respond? Also do different browser impact on what data ClickMap can collect?

Also - from what I have read so far it seems that ClickMap only reports on the page as it is now. I.e. if I pull a report for the last six months and the layout and links were altered last week, it will only show the last week's worth of data. Is this correct?

Sorry this is a lot of questions - but any information you could provide on this / any thoughts you may have on click map would be really helpful. 

Thanks

Toby

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

If you have objectID properly implemented, Clickmap should work seamlessly on a responsive site. If you don't, I'm pretty sure Clickmap spectacularly breaks in all sorts of places.

ClickMap reports are heavily dependent on objectID, whether that be automatically collected or manually defined. When a site layout is altered, the automatically collected objectIDs are almost always changed, thus preventing data being displayed from older layouts. Data can potentially be collected differently between varying browsers as well. Again, manually defining objectIDs makes these non-issues.

There's a new version of ClickMap undergoing development right now, so keep an eye on our monthly maintenance release notes for any updates there.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

If you have objectID properly implemented, Clickmap should work seamlessly on a responsive site. If you don't, I'm pretty sure Clickmap spectacularly breaks in all sorts of places.

ClickMap reports are heavily dependent on objectID, whether that be automatically collected or manually defined. When a site layout is altered, the automatically collected objectIDs are almost always changed, thus preventing data being displayed from older layouts. Data can potentially be collected differently between varying browsers as well. Again, manually defining objectIDs makes these non-issues.

There's a new version of ClickMap undergoing development right now, so keep an eye on our monthly maintenance release notes for any updates there.

Level 4

Thanks, 

That's really helpful. I'll take a look into the implementation, but it might be worth holding out until the new version is released.

Toby