Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Visit Discrepancy

Level 1

Hi,

I'm having an issue when pulling data from the Data Warehouse. I am pulling two files, one with visits broken down by week, the other broken down by week and tracking code. In the second file, I am seeing more visits than in the first, even though I'm using the same date range.

Why would this be?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi paulr44860813​,

It makes sense that the visit count is higher when you look break it down by tracking codes. A visit can easily have more than one tracking code. Example:

the user goes to google, searches for product A, find your paid advertisement and click through to your website, the tracking trigger campaign A in AA and registers 1 visit. The user is not interested in the product and goes back to the google search result page and searches again, not another paid ad shows up which has campaign B tracking code. If the user clicks through on this paid ad as well, then you will also have 1 visit registered to that campaign.

In your first data extract (without the campaign tracking code), you will just see 1 visit, because the user had 1 visit within the 30 minute window. When you break it down with campaign code, you will see more visits as there is 1 registered for each campaign code.

Hope the above makes sense.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Need a bit more info.

What do column of each data warehouse look like(are metrics the same)?

Is any segment part of the data pulls?

Level 1

Columns for pull #1:

Week

Sessions (Visits)

Orders

Revenue

Unique Visits

All Visits

Columns for pull #2:

Week

Tracking Code

Sessions (Visits)

Orders

Revenue

Unique Visits

All Visits

There is a filter being applied to both of these on the tracking code dimension.

Everything about the two pulls is exactly the same except one includes tracking code as a dimension and the other does not

Community Advisor

Hi initially looks like it should be good.

I am suspecting the dimension tracking code may be wrong. Double check for a similar named item, Tracking Code (evar1) or something like it depending on number of your tracking code. May just be its the incorrect version selected.

Correct answer by
Level 4

Hi paulr44860813​,

It makes sense that the visit count is higher when you look break it down by tracking codes. A visit can easily have more than one tracking code. Example:

the user goes to google, searches for product A, find your paid advertisement and click through to your website, the tracking trigger campaign A in AA and registers 1 visit. The user is not interested in the product and goes back to the google search result page and searches again, not another paid ad shows up which has campaign B tracking code. If the user clicks through on this paid ad as well, then you will also have 1 visit registered to that campaign.

In your first data extract (without the campaign tracking code), you will just see 1 visit, because the user had 1 visit within the 30 minute window. When you break it down with campaign code, you will see more visits as there is 1 registered for each campaign code.

Hope the above makes sense.