Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Very basic question but...

Level 3

How can I have a recording of 1 Visitor, 1 Visit and 1 File Download instance, but no Page View?  I didn't think we could get results for a PDF alone.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

I have a segment setup to look at all hits for a particular sub-domain.  The segment = Page containing my sub-domain in the URL and also download link instances containing my sub-domain in the URL.  I've then created a freeform in workspace to look at this segment in particular.  My metrics are Visitors, Visits, Page Views and Download Link instances. 

I'm getting 1 Visitor, 1 Visit, 0 Page Views and 1 Download Link instance.

How can I tell which page has the problem with tracking?

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

maybe there was a problem tracking the page view?

Correct answer by
Level 3

I have a segment setup to look at all hits for a particular sub-domain.  The segment = Page containing my sub-domain in the URL and also download link instances containing my sub-domain in the URL.  I've then created a freeform in workspace to look at this segment in particular.  My metrics are Visitors, Visits, Page Views and Download Link instances. 

I'm getting 1 Visitor, 1 Visit, 0 Page Views and 1 Download Link instance.

How can I tell which page has the problem with tracking?

Community Advisor

i guess you‘re not having a problem with the page view, but with the segment you created.

by adding „download link instances“ on a hit-level, there can‘t be any page view! because it is either a hit for a download or a page view, but not both ...

Level 3

Hi there

Sorry I guess my description of the segment should have been

Hit where

Page contains = sub-domain

OR

Download Link contains = sub-domain

This has worked in many cases, why doesn't it work if you have an OR operator in there?

Community Advisor

should work ... did you try without the „download link inst“ what you get as data?

Level 3

Okay, so i've tweaked the segment and this is what happened.  I removed the download link instance.

This resulted in showing no Visitors, no Visits and no Page Views and no downloads.

Now, if i remove page instead, in the file downloads report, 1 download.

Community Advisor

are you sure that the "page contains = sub-domain" is correct? you should at least get any hits, or not?

Level 4

Try with: "Page event"     "exists"  in the segment which will filter out those hits which are Non Page Views .

Page events consist of image request data from non-standard image requests. Sources of non-standard image requests are download links, exit links, and custom link tracking.