Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Using Marketing channels vs Tracking code

Level 4

I am currently showcasing the orders,revenue using the last touch marketing channel.

I also have tracking codes. At each tracking code level, the order and revenue are different then marketing channel. 

So, my question is should I showcase to stakeholder revenue by tracking code or by marketing channels as I do not want to confuse them with it.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Given a choice between the 2, I prefer using Marketing Channels, because it reports on every traffic source, not just traffic from (tracked) campaigns. So that presents a more holistic picture of how visitors are discovering the property and converting subsequently. Also, I find that marketers can wrap their heads more easily around last-touch attribution.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Community Advisor

This all depends on what retention policies you have in place on Tracking Codes and Marketing Channels, as well as how your Marketing Channels are set to process data (which funnels have priority, what rules are set to not override, etc). When was the last time you reviewed your Marketing Channels... are they still processing properly?

When I am working with my marketing team, I explain how the rules are set up, and I check with them to understand how they would like to see the data... I don't think this is something that we can really tell you... your marketing team should have a say in what data you are providing to them.

And I get it... a lot of the time my marketing team doesn't understand everything around the processing and attribution rules... but you have to do the best you can to explain the options, and let them choose a model that they feel works best (even if they don't understand everything)... once this is chosen, you can stick to that model for consistency.

Community Advisor

The choice between showcasing revenue by tracking codes or by marketing channels depends on your stakeholders' objectives and the context in which they'll be using the data.

Tracking codes and Marketing channels are equally important.

To avoid confusion, consider discussing the reporting requirements with your stakeholders, and clarify their objectives and needs. This will help you determine whether to present the data by tracking codes or marketing channels or even both, depending on the level of detail they require.

Level 4

As others have mentioned, it comes down to the way the data is collected and presented. Depending on their objectives, the data will need to be presented differently.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Given a choice between the 2, I prefer using Marketing Channels, because it reports on every traffic source, not just traffic from (tracked) campaigns. So that presents a more holistic picture of how visitors are discovering the property and converting subsequently. Also, I find that marketers can wrap their heads more easily around last-touch attribution.

Community Advisor

I use a combination of both... Our Marketing Channel have a 1 week attribution.. but I also want to see direct visit attribution (i.e. lack of campaigns). So for us, we use both, and add descriptions for the reports so that people know what we are showing.

But I have also done a lot of work with our Marketers to help them understand what each report means.

Community Advisor

I like that tracking codes can be classified into a variety of other dimensions.  And those classifications can be retroactive which offers a lot of flexibility.  

I agree that it's based upon the key business questions. But it can get confusing when analysts or marketers start to compare or mix the two together.

Level 1

@yuhuisg    @Josh__Stephens @Jennifer_Dungan 

I found this thread helpful, so wanted to hear your thoughts when it comes to Paid Search and attributing ROI. We've more recently revisited the processing rules and moved away from Tracking Codes to using Marketing Channels. However, our marketing team has seen a decrease in revenue from Paid as a result since channels with no TC get credit. This can ultimately affect budget. How have you approached this with your teams?

Community Advisor

What is your "Marketing Channel Expiry"? I worked with our Marketing Team to ensure a retention period that worked for them... basically, we made all our pixel trackers and our Marketing Channels all work on a 7 Day Attribution.

Tracking Codes, btw, also have a 7 Day Attribution.

So, if you were using tracking codes before, you were still likely attributing data to Visits with no campaign code, but the period was much tighter... 

I would suggest making your Marketing Channels match your TC expiry to get a closer association?

In my implementation, I have a custom "Tracking Code" Solution that looks at Visit Level... so I actually encourage people to look more at the custom solution over TC codes, so that they can get Week Attribution on Marketing Channel, and if they want to know direct attribution, they use my custom solution.

Community Advisor

I think the biggest piece is helping the various teams understand the difference between campaign reporting and marketing channel reporting.  

The expiration period for tracking code can be modified in report suite settings > conversion variables > 1st section before eVars.  

As Jennifer mentioned, you can modify your attribution windows.  Another option might be to look at other attribution methodologies.  The attribution panel allows you to compare various methods and better understand the customer journey via channels.