Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Using Debugger For Variable Testing

Level 2

I have been working with my IS team to develop new variables to track new features to our website. I like using the debugger tool to see what data is being passed to Adobe without having to wait for it to get into a report. The issue that I am having is that I noticed only certain variables are showing in the debugger tool. Is there a way to turn variables "on" or "off" from showing in the debugger? I would like to unhide or "turn on" all variables so that I can test if they are firing at the correct times and based on our expiration settings.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Link click (not just page load) variables can be seen in debugger. Please make sure that you are checking variable value in debugger right after the click on intended link (for which prop42 is designed to fire).
Also, give a try in some other debugger like Omnibug extension for Chrome...

Let us know if this helps or not...

Regards,
Saurabh Kumar.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 2

In your debugger (or Chrome Developer Tools), you can use a regular expression to filter the Analytics image request URL for the variable you're looking to validate, like: "c1=" for prop1, or "v1=" for eVar1.

Regular expression example: c1=|v1=

Level 2

I am not familiar in how to change the regular expression. Do you have a good link to this subject?

To be more specific in my original post, we have set up a variable to track where people are clicking on a page to see what is engaging our audience. I have it is slot 42 but it is not showing in the debugger tool but it does in my report in Adobe. I am just trying to not have to wait the time for the data to fill into a report when testing/auditing variables.

Level 4

Do you have a screen shot of the debugger that you can share here so we can help troubleshoot? If you don't see prop/eVar or event 42 it is possible that it may not be implemented.

-Ryan Praskievicz

Level 4

Which variables are missing?  Most(maybe even all??) of the standard variables are in in the debugger. So as Ryan says, if you are not seeing them then they are probabyl not being passed.  Sharing a screenshot with what is happening and some details of what you are expecting would help the community troubleshoot!

Level 2

I have added images from the debugger tool and the report. As you can see, prop 42 does not show on the debugger after the click. There is data going into the report. Is this because it is on the click on not on the page?

Correct answer by
Level 5

Link click (not just page load) variables can be seen in debugger. Please make sure that you are checking variable value in debugger right after the click on intended link (for which prop42 is designed to fire).
Also, give a try in some other debugger like Omnibug extension for Chrome...

Let us know if this helps or not...

Regards,
Saurabh Kumar.

Level 2

I added the Omnibug extension and I am now able to see the click and load events. This is exactly what I needed to see! Thank you for the recommendation.