Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Upgrading extensions — best practices

Level 4

Hi,

I have quite a few extensions that have available upgrades: Core, Adobe Analytics and Cloud ID service. I know how to technically roll out an upgrade in Launch, but I was wondering if there are best practices (e.g. regarding testing), that I should take into consideration before I proceed. Also, are there any considerable risks of data collection issues if I upgrade one of these specific extensions?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Your understanding is correct.

If the error is at your end, e.g. the extension introduces something new in its components that your rules/data elements break, then you have no choice but to fix your rules/data elements.

If the error is at the extension's end, like what had happened with the Adobe Target v2 extension, then you can still build your libraries in development (and staging), but don't publish the extensions to production until the extension has been fixed.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Interested in knowing more on this thread!

Community Advisor

Usually, I "close my eyes and upgrade" for the following because they're 99% safe (note: I have not verified that percentage!

• Core
  • Experience Cloud ID Service
  • Adobe Analytics
  • Adobe Client Data Layer
  • Adobe Experience Platform Web SDK

I'd put Adobe Target v2 in that list too, but there was one problematic update a few months back, and so that has made me more careful with that extension.

Nonetheless, after performing extension updates, you should definitely test your Launch implementation extensively to ensure that things are still working properly. A testing tool like ObservePoint can help.

Level 4

Thanks for your reply! However, what if I detect an issue and be stuck with the upgrade? I understand you cannot downgrade from these.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Your understanding is correct.

If the error is at your end, e.g. the extension introduces something new in its components that your rules/data elements break, then you have no choice but to fix your rules/data elements.

If the error is at the extension's end, like what had happened with the Adobe Target v2 extension, then you can still build your libraries in development (and staging), but don't publish the extensions to production until the extension has been fixed.

Level 4

Thanks for your answer. I've upgraded them, and all seems to be working correctly!