Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Unspecified Tracking Code for Affiliate

Level 2

Filtering Last Touch Channel by Tracking Code shows "Unspecified". How can this be? How can a not-specified Tracking-Code be linked to a specific channel, in this case to channel "Affiliate"?    

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-05 um 12.26.37.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Florian,

Implementation on Tracking Code was okay. But usually for s.campaign we use s.getvalonce plugin to capture the values so that the reloads, back & forth navigation will not be counted as click-throughs. If possible, try to implement the same as that was the best practice.

Regarding your Marketing Channel Classification, the gap in grouping might be due to rules you have set. Can you follow this thread : Add Paid/Natural Search to Marketing Channel Report? and verify your Marketing Channel Processing Rules?

If you need further assistance, you can inbox me. Will try to help you!

Thank You

Arun

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 5

Ah man... going for a breakdown and finding "unspecified" is always the worst, right? The first things I would check are...

1. Are your variable expirations for tracking code and marketing channels the same? If your tracking code is set to expire after a week, but the marketing channel doesn't expire for 90 days, then 2 weeks after someone clicks through an affiliate campaign, the marketing channel would still be "Affiliate Marketing" but the tracking code would have expired by then. If this is the case, you still might have the tracking code stored in the marketing channel detail report though (if it has been set up to store the tracking code for the affiliate channel)

2. Seeing that marketing channels are set using logic statements, is it possible that your Affiliate Marketing channel logic is looking additional triggers beyond the tracking code (specific landing page or query string parameter).

Community Advisor

Dear Florian,

Kindly sub-relate Marketing Channel Detail with Marketing Channel to understand the bucketing.

Tracking Codes and Marketing Channels have different expiration and thus there will be a gap.

Let us know if you are still able to see "unspecified" even after selecting Marketing Channel Detail.

Thank You

Arun

Level 2

Hi nickhomer,

thx at first!

with regard to point 1:

dont know if i unterstand you right, because I just know expiration-duration regading cookie-lifetime but in you described example it seems to be like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-06 um 13.59.30.png

Is it really like this?

This would mean, tracking data is getting get "lost" (that means the link between channel and tracking code is getting lost) and are not reported any more after expiration date??

Cheers

Flo

Level 2

Hi Aron,

thanks.

I checked both breakdowns. Please see here:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-06 um 14.05.22.png

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-06 um 14.05.27.png

Is this helpful? :-)

Kind regards and a happy weekend!

Flo

Level 5

Hi Flo,

Yes, this would be a problem if your expiration settings are really set to "1 week" and "90 days". Those are probably not the settings that you currently have though. I would just check in the admin console to make sure the expiration timeframe on these two variables are similar.

But in evaluating your screenshots in response to Arun, it looks like your problem is scenario 2. Your marketing channel processing rules are tagging traffic as "Affiliate Marketing" when there isn't a tracking code available. I would check your marketing channel processing rules to see what is the logic that is flagging traffic as "affiliate marketing"

Community Advisor

Dear Florian,

Can you share the public URL to validate?

I suspect 2 things:

1. Click-Throughs mis-firing.

2. Gap in Marketing Channel Setup.

Thank You

Arun

Level 2

Hi Arun,

there are a lot of affiliate-campaigns that link to different landingpages...

here is one of them

Trackingcode

https://shop.samsung.com/de/fruehlingsangebote/?cid=de_affiliate_fruehlingsangebote

Best

Florian

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear Florian,

Implementation on Tracking Code was okay. But usually for s.campaign we use s.getvalonce plugin to capture the values so that the reloads, back & forth navigation will not be counted as click-throughs. If possible, try to implement the same as that was the best practice.

Regarding your Marketing Channel Classification, the gap in grouping might be due to rules you have set. Can you follow this thread : Add Paid/Natural Search to Marketing Channel Report? and verify your Marketing Channel Processing Rules?

If you need further assistance, you can inbox me. Will try to help you!

Thank You

Arun