Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Unique visitors of Target experience higher than expected

Level 5

Hi everyone!

We have a couple of Target experiences running on a specific page.

I'm looking at the data and it's showing more unique visitors received the Target experience than visited the page.

To add to my confusion, I've created a workspace and used the option to breakdown the Target experience by page and it's showing multiple entries other than the page where the activity location is set in Target.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi everyone,

So after some investigation, we came to a pretty simple conclusion.

Basically, the Target Experience visits and unique visitors account for all the pages viewed in a single session where the relevant Target Experience cookie is present in the user's browser. When we applied a page name filter to the Target Experience it showed all the pages visited by the user after they received the Target Experience.

This was probably a lack of understanding on my part of how the different dimensions work and what is, and isn't comparable.

That's why we can't simply compare the number of visitors to the page with the number of visitors logged against the Target Experience dimension as the statistics for page views will simply show the number of visitors to the page, but the Target Experience visitors will aggregate visits to the page where the Experience triggered and all other pages they subsequently visited in the same session.

What we'll just do from now on is apply a page name to the workspace or create segments by drilling down into the Target Experience stats.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 5

I would suggest you raise ticket with Adobe Client Care by dropping an email to clientcare@adobe.com.

Level 10

Hi Philip,

I wonder if you have contacted ClientCare? If yes, could you share what the issue was?

Level 5

Hi Andrey,

I've contacted Client Care but we've not reached a resolution as yet. Our implementation of Target is a little unconventional (we have to fire two separate mbox requests as our data layer takes a while to load) so I think it's been a bit tricky getting to the bottom of it.

In your experience, have you ever seen anything like this or do the stats generally tally up?

Level 10

I was just thinking that maybe you faced an implementation issue when the first mbox call did not contain the visitor ID while the second had it (or in other words, when different mbox calls are referring to different visitor ID values).

P.S.: if you send me a URL of the page in a direct message, I'll have a look...

Correct answer by
Level 5

Hi everyone,

So after some investigation, we came to a pretty simple conclusion.

Basically, the Target Experience visits and unique visitors account for all the pages viewed in a single session where the relevant Target Experience cookie is present in the user's browser. When we applied a page name filter to the Target Experience it showed all the pages visited by the user after they received the Target Experience.

This was probably a lack of understanding on my part of how the different dimensions work and what is, and isn't comparable.

That's why we can't simply compare the number of visitors to the page with the number of visitors logged against the Target Experience dimension as the statistics for page views will simply show the number of visitors to the page, but the Target Experience visitors will aggregate visits to the page where the Experience triggered and all other pages they subsequently visited in the same session.

What we'll just do from now on is apply a page name to the workspace or create segments by drilling down into the Target Experience stats.