Tracking code condition in Marketing Channel rule

Level 2

Hello,

Say I have a marketing channel rule:

• If TRACKING CODE starts with "sem-" marketing channel = Paid Search
  • My tracking code expiration is set to 14 days

Then a user exhibits the following behavior:

• Enters site with sem- tracking code, does not convert
  • 7 days later...enters site through natural search (no tracking code), converts
  • assume natural search is allowed to override other marketing channels

Would this conversion be attributed to paid search, because the tracking code was retained from the previous visit?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I would not change anything in the setup. The conversion happened after "natural search" and not directly after the "paid search".

I suggest you use the "advanced attribution models" (link above). this way you could use a "U"-Model to give credit to the first and last touch channels.

or you can add the "first touch chanels" to the header of a table in analytic workspace to see both first and last touch chanels.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Community Advisor

when looking at the "conversion" event, you can perform different breakdowns which would give different results based on your example:

• "marketing channels": since "natural search" is allowed to override, your customer would be counted here. the initial channel "paid search" would be overwritten.
  • "tracking code": the customer would appear with the "sem-..." tracking code, since this was the last code he touched and it is within the expiration window

remark: you might want to use some of the new attribution models which have been added to adobe analytics recently. this way you can give credit to different marketing channels based on a model you prefer. look here for more information: Attribution IQ

Level 2

Thanks for the response...I am wondering though, is there a possibility last touch marketing channel would show as paid search?

i.e. If my paid search processing rule precedes my natural search rule, and the tracking code (which my rule is based on) is retained from a prior visit, Would it be a paid search conversion?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I would not change anything in the setup. The conversion happened after "natural search" and not directly after the "paid search".

I suggest you use the "advanced attribution models" (link above). this way you could use a "U"-Model to give credit to the first and last touch channels.

or you can add the "first touch chanels" to the header of a table in analytic workspace to see both first and last touch chanels.