Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Time Spent per Visits(seconds) vs Total Seconds Spent / (Visit - Bounce)

Level 2

Hello,

I'm comparing the metric "Time Spent per Visits (Seconds)" with the calculated metric "Total Seconds spent / (Visit - Bounce)

I understand that these two metrics cannot have the same result because the visits in the calculated metric include some of the visits that do not have the timestamp values. Thus, I created a segment : Visit container where time spent per visit - granular is greater than 0. By applying this segment to the calculated metric, I could get the same result between the two metrics. 

However, if I add the dimension to the metrics, they again show different result. Why? Can anyone kindly advise? Thank you so much!

img.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Without being able to fiddle with the workspace table myself my best attempt at answering this is that

the column on the left is resulting in Total Seconds Spent / Visit because all of the bounces are getting excluded by so the segment "time spent per visit > 0", which makes sense because there are not two hits to calculate time spent for in the case of a bounce.

resulting in Total Seconds Spent/ Visit which is the same as the metric on the right column.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 7.45.44 AM.png

The remaining discrepancies are due to the difference in calculation between Total Seconds Spent which is a hit based metric, and Time Spent Per Visit which is a visit based metric. The visit based metric is going to attribute to each page in the visit linearly, from what I understand of the documentation. Whereas the total Seconds Spent is on a hit to hit level, so it will be a more granular attribution of time. 

I hope that helps clear up some of the confusion

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee

Without being able to fiddle with the workspace table myself my best attempt at answering this is that

the column on the left is resulting in Total Seconds Spent / Visit because all of the bounces are getting excluded by so the segment "time spent per visit > 0", which makes sense because there are not two hits to calculate time spent for in the case of a bounce.

resulting in Total Seconds Spent/ Visit which is the same as the metric on the right column.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 7.45.44 AM.png

The remaining discrepancies are due to the difference in calculation between Total Seconds Spent which is a hit based metric, and Time Spent Per Visit which is a visit based metric. The visit based metric is going to attribute to each page in the visit linearly, from what I understand of the documentation. Whereas the total Seconds Spent is on a hit to hit level, so it will be a more granular attribution of time. 

I hope that helps clear up some of the confusion