Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Structure of data layer: Advantages and disadvantages

Level 5

Hi everyone!

Our current data layer is a single object. I've seen the approach of a data layer comprised of a top level object with other objects nested inside.

For comparison, our current page name property is accessed using dataLayer.pageName but in the nested approach it would be something like dataLayer.page.pageName.

I was wondering what the advantages are of this nested approach for marketeers, developers, and from a configuration perspective? Conversely what are the challenges? Our current data layer works quite well so I don't want to pursue a big change if the costs outweigh the benefits.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

If your current data layer works for you - then keep using it.  Many people use the array approach because it aligned with the WC3 recommendations.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 5

If your current data layer works for you - then keep using it.  Many people use the array approach because it aligned with the WC3 recommendations.