Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Server Call Failed

Level 1

Hi,

We have an issue about sending adobe analytics request. 

Most of data are send correctly in our project when page load, thus I'm sure that our code is right.

But there are a few cases where data (all data has the same format) cannot be received when page load, think it's not due to network issue since our page loads normally.

Could you please help me about this? Is there any reason for this issue?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

ok so in the case of SPA.

Your dev needs to ensure that from (virtual page to virtual page) or route change he fires the correct page load event. Likely step 2 is missing it or just not firing it.

I`m guessing the other events you do see are link click events for example...

Ask you dev did you build it so a custom event for page load was defined or did you use a direct call rule? Custom events for page loads are tricky as in the case of SPA events may not trigger as expected when users navigate. I definitely recommend direct call rules for SPA vs custom page load events.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Community Advisor

For those cases where the data (e.g. eVars) are not sent:

1. Are you setting your missing data to the correct data points?
  2. Do the missing data rely on data in the page or data layer? If so, could that page/data layer data be missing?
  3. Do you see any errors in your browser console?
  4. If you're using Launch to manage your tags, then enable Launch's console debugging with _satellite.setDebug(true). Reload your page. Do you see all of your expected Rules being fired properly?

Level 1

Hi, thanks for reply.

1. Yes. Since most data can be received correctly.

2. Yes. We push the data to datalayer after page loading, and it always success.

3. No. There's no error in the console, print datalayer in console, no issue.

4. We don't use Launch to manage tags.

Thanks

Level 1

Sorry. It's an website for internal use. I'm not allowed to share it.

Community Advisor

Are you using a single page APP?

What type of server environment?

Are you using any akamei or caching on your site?

In network console type:

/b/ss/

do you get multiple adobe beacons for Adobe metrics on this odd page load?

Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, our project is a single page React App.

In the development env, we can't found /b/ss/ request for page loading, but works well for other events.

In the prod env, both page loading and other events works well, and we use single adobe beacons.

Now the issue is, in the prod, there're few cases lost some page loading data.

eg. we have data for page1, page3, page4 and so on, but don't have data for page2. And it is not possible to skip page in our project.

Thanks!

Community Advisor

At page 2, are you saying that:

• there is a /b/ss hit but some of the eVars/props/events are not set properly, or
  • there is no /b/ss hit entirely?

Level 1

Will confirm with data team after Christmas holidays and reply at here ASAP.

Thanks for your help!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

ok so in the case of SPA.

Your dev needs to ensure that from (virtual page to virtual page) or route change he fires the correct page load event. Likely step 2 is missing it or just not firing it.

I`m guessing the other events you do see are link click events for example...

Ask you dev did you build it so a custom event for page load was defined or did you use a direct call rule? Custom events for page loads are tricky as in the case of SPA events may not trigger as expected when users navigate. I definitely recommend direct call rules for SPA vs custom page load events.

Level 1

Thanks!

Yep, the other events are triggered by button clicking, the page loading is triggered in useEffect hooks in React.

I'll dive into the direct call rules for SPA, I'm new at here.

Thanks for your help!

Community Advisor

Just an extra FYI.

In direct call rules.. Some SPA may experience a first page load double fire.

If you implement Direct call rules well you can also get a huge benefit from automatic link tracking. many html links, buttons will automatically be tagged for click usage under Activity map.(no spec events needed, out of box)