Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.
SOLVED

Segmentation doubts - Visitor who start some process but didn't finish it!

Level 1
Hey all! I had a doubt regarding Segments:
  1. Let's say I want to create a segment that is defined as Visit of CMs who visited SiteSection A (written as SS Z from here on) but didn't visit SS B (keep in mind that SS A and SS B are part of same process, as in a CM starts at SS A  -> SS A.1 -> SS A.2 -> SS B where SS A is start of the process and SS B is completion of the process, any drop offs prior to SS B are regarded as failed conversions which is the segment I want to create)
  2. Now I start the segment as:
    1. Include at Visit Level
    2. Page Identifier equals to SS A page identifier                                    Hit Level
    3. and
    4. Page Identifier does not equal to SS B page identifier                     Hit Level
  3. Now did I successfully create a segment that selects all the visits in a time period where CM started this process (i.e. SS A) but didn't convert fully (i.e. didn't view the page SS B in the same visit), I need to ask this because there's no way to verify the numbers. Also, if this is not correct can you suggest what changes should I do?
  4. Also, if I change the above segment to Include at Visitor Level who will be included in my segment, let's say for example: A CM in their visit 1 didn't complete the process fully and in visit 2 completed the process fully, so will they be included in the said segment?
Thanks!
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't think the segment you created is quite right... the problem is that "does not equal" is very different from "excludes"

Think of a visit flow like this:

• SSA
  • SSC
  • SSD
  • SSA
  • SSB

You are looking for a hit on SSA followed by a hit on "not SSB", to which SSC, SSD and SSA) all qualify for, since you also didn't specify a time frame / number of hits between SSA and SSB.

Even this flow would meet your segment criteria:

• SSA
  • SSB
  • SSC

Since SSC is a hit that does not equal SSB and follows SSA in the Visit.

However, creating a segment like this should get you what you want:

VISIT [

Page equals SSA

AND

VISIT level EXCLUDE container [

Page equals SSA

THEN

Page equals SSB

]

]

This should get you all Visits that the user hit SSA, but then excludes the Visits where the user hit SSA then SSB.

Then if you are looking at Visitors who never reach SSB in any visit, you can use the following:

VISITOR [

Page equals SSA

AND

VISITOR level EXCLUDE container [

Page equals SSA

THEN

Page equals SSB

]

]

Basically, I just changed the main segment scope and the container scope to Visitor....

So now it reads as: Get all Visitors that hit SSA, and exclude Visitors that hit SSA then SSB, i.e. exclude visitors that at some point hit SSB after SSA....

However, the problem with this is that is looks at the entire time frame... if you are looking at the last 3 months, and the user completed the flow 2.5 months ago, then started the flow again a few weeks ago and didn't complete it, the Visitor will still be considered a "complete" based on their first completion....

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 2

Hi Prince_lathwal,

• The Segment which you have created works correctly i.e In a Session User have gone to SS A and haven't been to SS B.
  • Also, if I change the above segment to Include at Visitor Level who will be included in my segment, let's say for example: A CM in their visit 1 didn't complete the process fully and in visit 2 completed the process fully, so will they be included in the said segment? - Yes, as the bucket level is on Visitor , the condition will be checked among all the Visits of a Visitor. So by this segment  if you keep the both the pages exist in AND condition you will be able to get the Users those have been to the page B in Different visit.

Hope this is Helpful.

Hey Srikrishna! Thanks for the answer, that was immensely helpful. 

Now, if I want to create a Visitor segment of just the visitors who never reach step B, i.e. exclude people who reach SS B during any visit in a given period. How would one go around that? What changes do I need to do in my segment? 

-

Thanks!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I don't think the segment you created is quite right... the problem is that "does not equal" is very different from "excludes"

Think of a visit flow like this:

• SSA
  • SSC
  • SSD
  • SSA
  • SSB

You are looking for a hit on SSA followed by a hit on "not SSB", to which SSC, SSD and SSA) all qualify for, since you also didn't specify a time frame / number of hits between SSA and SSB.

Even this flow would meet your segment criteria:

• SSA
  • SSB
  • SSC

Since SSC is a hit that does not equal SSB and follows SSA in the Visit.

However, creating a segment like this should get you what you want:

VISIT [

Page equals SSA

AND

VISIT level EXCLUDE container [

Page equals SSA

THEN

Page equals SSB

]

]

This should get you all Visits that the user hit SSA, but then excludes the Visits where the user hit SSA then SSB.

Then if you are looking at Visitors who never reach SSB in any visit, you can use the following:

VISITOR [

Page equals SSA

AND

VISITOR level EXCLUDE container [

Page equals SSA

THEN

Page equals SSB

]

]

Basically, I just changed the main segment scope and the container scope to Visitor....

So now it reads as: Get all Visitors that hit SSA, and exclude Visitors that hit SSA then SSB, i.e. exclude visitors that at some point hit SSB after SSA....

However, the problem with this is that is looks at the entire time frame... if you are looking at the last 3 months, and the user completed the flow 2.5 months ago, then started the flow again a few weeks ago and didn't complete it, the Visitor will still be considered a "complete" based on their first completion....

Level 1

Thanks a lot, Jennifer! The exclude container completely missed my mind. That does seem like a much better way to approach the problem. I think you answered everything that concerned me. 

However, the last point you mentioned, if I limit the scope of container to visit level then I'll get all the visits that didn't complete the flow which is something I want to look at - as in what else did they do in that particular visit in which the flow wasn't completed

and

for a visitor level container I'll get all the visitors who did try to start the flow but just never completed it in the given timeframe.

Is my understanding correct?  

Again, thanks for your help!

Community Advisor

Yes, since you first started looking at Visits, I provided that.. This is a much easier check, since your scope is limited to the Visit...

But then you asked about completing the step in the next Visit,.. (i.e. Add to Cart in Visit 1, Checkout in Visit 2, or something like that)...

Once you look at Visitor scope things get tricky in this, if the flow is repeatable, then any completion would trigger the exclude.. the risk gets bigger the longer the time frame becomes...