Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!

List var not segementing correctly. Does not work with hit container exclusion but works with visit container exclusion?

Level 1

Hi all, 

So when I try to make a segment for when in our visit a certain line of business has their visit they receive the Old Homepage experience. We have an impression call firing when New Homepage experience is served.

So I made a Visit level segment to look at visits that had my LOB and did not include a Hit for New Home.

Olso6744_0-1717167379808.png

But that doesn't work as I still see visits with l2 = new home attributing to that segment.

If I change the segment so that it is excluding new home on a visit level it works.

Olso6744_0-1717433050928.png

But I don't understand why the Hit level exclusion isn't working but the visit is. Shouldn't the Visit segment with the hit exclusion exclude any visit in which that Hit is present?

Thanks!

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

This is a tricky one... you are correct that the HIT exclusion should work, but I think something to do with the nature of being a list (and having multiple values for the same hit) might be causing some issues with the exclusion logic...

I tested with some proxy data in my implementation, and I saw that some data is excluded, most of it is coming through. 

I suspect my hits that have only one list item of "x" are being excluded, but if I have both "x" and "y" then they are not? I don't have direct access to our raw data, but this is my working theory at this time.

Community Advisor

I think instead of equals you should try a contains logic maybe that would work with the hit segment.

Community Advisor

Yeah, unfortunately when it comes to list items, the criteria is run against each item after it's been split... so in this case equals or contains would work the same

Basically let's say you pass the following into a list:

"value,something,other"

These will be split to be "value", "something" and "other"; so whether you look for equals "value" or contains "value" the result will be the same....

Now, if you had:

"value,something,other,another value"

"something,other,another value"

Then equals "value" will only return the items that specifically have "value" (i.e. the first option only), whereas if you have contains "value", both the above would meet the criteria.