Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Segment with product syntax

Level 2

Hello, we are using a product syntax with some custom eVar. Data looks clean, but when creating segment we have trouble having the granularity we are looking for without doing an extract.

For example, in my array :

product1 : eVar3 = Hello, eVar4 = World

product2 : eVar3 = Hi, eVar4 = Planet

product3 : eVar3 = Hello, eVar4 = Planet

if user A has :

product1 : eVar3 = Hello, eVar4 = World

product2 : eVar3 = Hi, eVar4 = Planet

I want to target those who have "eVar3 = Hello and eVar4 = Planet", the problem is that user A will be include in my segment as it lives within the same hit.

Is there a way to create a segment to identify the proper product element in these cases?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Sadly no... This has been a complaint for a long time that we really need a way to create segments that will bring back only the matching values within the hit, rather than all values inside the share hit.

There is however one option available to you. In table filters, as well as breakdowns can get around some of the limitations.

For example, if you pull in the specific "eVar3 = Hello" into your table (or pull all of eVar3 as your initial breakdown and filter for "Hello"), then break that down by eVar4, you can then  filter eVar4 for "Planet"

This should get you the correlated "Hello" and "Planet" combination.

When you use breakdowns like this, it does maintain the logic within the sets...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Sadly no... This has been a complaint for a long time that we really need a way to create segments that will bring back only the matching values within the hit, rather than all values inside the share hit.

There is however one option available to you. In table filters, as well as breakdowns can get around some of the limitations.

For example, if you pull in the specific "eVar3 = Hello" into your table (or pull all of eVar3 as your initial breakdown and filter for "Hello"), then break that down by eVar4, you can then  filter eVar4 for "Planet"

This should get you the correlated "Hello" and "Planet" combination.

When you use breakdowns like this, it does maintain the logic within the sets...

Level 2

Hello Jennifer,

yes, this is what we are currently using. Was looking to see if there was a way around with segments, but like you mentioned, it isn't possible. No problem as, like you mentioned, the table view can be used. Thank you for your time

Community Advisor

You're welcome... I wish I had a better answer... I really wish this was possible to do with segments (we use s.products for like 20 different things so I run into this issue all the time)