Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Rolling segments?

Level 2

Hi!

I'm trying to build a segment, that includes visitors that has had an instance of an event 1 month prior to the present. I want to use the segment in target for re-targeting among other things. I other words, I want to build a rolling segment.

The best way I've been able to come up with, is setting events for this particular purpose, that have an expiration of 1 month (in this case), but this wouldn't give us the flexibility we require and it would also require re-tagging. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Martin Vinter

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

I think we both agree on the logic we are implementing. The most probable reason I could see from your segment definition is that we are not able to achieve the right aggregation and nesting of the containers. From your definition I can see the two rules are not in the same container. Maybe aggregating them and using the right set of containers would solve the problem. I have attached an Illustration for you. Additionally, here are some examples pages on nesting containers - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/segment/seg_example_aggregate_checkpoints...

However, if you are still not able to get the required output, I would recommend you to reach out to ClientCare and ask them about the nesting and the containers that would suit your logic. 

Let me know if you are able to find a solution.

Regards,

TM

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 2

Hi TM

I'd like to segment the visitors, who has had an instance of the event within 1 month prior to the present time (present time beeing the whenever I use the segment in the time to come)

I talked to ClientCare, and they suggested this segment definition:

Visitors where:

Vist exists

Then within 1 month

Event exits

I've experimented with various setting for the visit/hit/visitor selectors, but with no luck.I test the segment by checking that a large proportion of the instances of event are in the last month. When I test the segment above however, the instances are distributed in acordance with the yearly rhythm on our site.

Level 10

Using the "then within 1 month" will give you a rolling segment as you wanted.

I think you can give a try using this definition as an experiment:

Visitors where:

Event exists

Then within 1 month

Visit exists

Apart from this, do let me know the data you expect and the data you are getting.

Regards,

TM

Level 2

Hi Again

Thanks for helping with this!

That exact segment was also what clientcare recomended. I expected the segment to return a lot of visits etc in the last 1 month, and then very few in the months before. That seems logical, when looking at visitors, who had an instance on the evar in the last month. What it does, is more like the opposite - it returns proportionally fewer visitors in the last 30 days compared to the months before. Something must be wrong somewhere.

I've attached an image, that shows the key metrics report for the segment. I've also attached what the same report looks like with no segment.

Kind regards,

Martin

Level 10

Hi Martin, 

I think you didn't notice, the segment I suggested has its metrics reversed. I just want you to try that once. 

Meanwhile I'll have a look at your results and get back to you.

Thanks.

TM

Level 2

Hi!

Sorry my mistake. I wrote the reversed version of what I actually did and what clientcare suggested. I've attached a screenshot of my segment.

Actually I've tried both the reversed and the non-reversed version. None of them did as I expected.

-Martin

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

I think we both agree on the logic we are implementing. The most probable reason I could see from your segment definition is that we are not able to achieve the right aggregation and nesting of the containers. From your definition I can see the two rules are not in the same container. Maybe aggregating them and using the right set of containers would solve the problem. I have attached an Illustration for you. Additionally, here are some examples pages on nesting containers - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/analytics/segment/seg_example_aggregate_checkpoints...

However, if you are still not able to get the required output, I would recommend you to reach out to ClientCare and ask them about the nesting and the containers that would suit your logic. 

Let me know if you are able to find a solution.

Regards,

TM