Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!

Reporting on UTM parameters

Level 1

I'm still pretty fresh to Adobe Analytics (I was primarily a WebTrends user and currently Google Analytics) and I'm working through enabling reporting on UTM parameters in Adobe Analytics. I've used this article as a baseline guide (https://medium.com/@utmsmartmanager/the-complete-guide-to-using-utm-parameters-in-adobe-analytics-df...). I'm at the point now where we have code deployed to collect the UTM parameters from the URL (when present) and pass them in a single string to the campaign variable. I added the classifications, set up the classification rules (regex method), and linked the rules to my report suites.

Screenshot 2024-08-16 122119.png

Screenshot 2024-08-16 121549.png

Screenshot 2024-08-16 121710.png

When I set up a table and use the Tracking Code dimension, I can see the full string in the line items. But when I set up a table with the Source, Medium, Campaign, Term, Content dimensions, everything is listed as Unspecified. Testing in the classification rules breaks down the string properly into the correct classifications.

Screenshot 2024-08-16 121903.png

It feels like I'm missing something simple/obvious, but I can't seem to locate that silver bullet in the settings or digging around online. Does anyone who's been able to get this working successfully have any tips/pointers?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @NL-KB 

Looking at your regular expression, a few things

• the colon does not need to be escaped with the backslash "\:" should be ":" instead
  • in your example, you do have an empty value for "Content" which is not working with your regex

You may want to make the capture groups optional by adding a question mark "?" after each group.

Meaning, it will still require the colons to be present, but will also allow empty values

^(.+)?:(.+)?:(.+)?:(.+)?:(.+)?$

You can test it here

https://regex101.com/r/rvBaq2/1

Also, keep in mind that you will see undefined in your values if visitors did not come with UTM query params to your site.

Hope that helps

Hope that helps.
Cheers from Switzerland!