Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Report Suite including other report suites

Level 2

Hi! We report on multiple brands, use report suites to split the Adobe Dashboards, but it seems data for one report suite is included in the data for a different report suite. Not sure what else to use to split them?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Would you be able to share with us directly in a private message (so that it's not public), or is this something you cannot share at all without a NDA?

This new message it sounds like you are now trying to build out a segment (even if the collected data may not be as expected), which is a good strategy... 

First, what dimension are you using for your URL.. one thing to consider there is if you are using an eVar, depending on how the expiry is set, you may be carrying a value forward to additional server calls that is unintended as well.

Now, for your segment, you need to be aware of the scope... in this case, I would say it should probably be something like:

HIT level

url does not contain "pepsi"

and

url does not contain "sprite"

and

While you can use the "does not contain any of" I actually find these rules more cumbersome to use, and for long lists of values, they are harder to read because it's such a small input box.... I tend to specifically use OR / AND clauses and keep it broken out the "old school" way

Also, does not contain any of needs to be a very specific format "pepsi sprite"  (space delimited, no commas, etc)

Make sure to check the preview in the segment builder showing last 90 days.. this will help show you the values going down, if they don't then you either don't have that data (which is fine) or the rule isn't accounting for it properly.. if the numbers start going back up, as you are trying to remove things, then there is a logic issue in the segment.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Community Advisor

Based on the information that you've provided, I can think of the following reasons:

• Your tracking implementation is such that you're sending the same data to more than one report suite. E.g. there is one Page View beacon that is being collected in more-than-one report suite.
  • The report suites that you're using in your dashboards are really Virtual Report Suites (VRS). But one or more of them have been configured with a badly defined segment, such that the same data appears unexpectedly in more than one VRS.
  • Your organisation has a VISTA rule that duplicates data from one report suite into another through AA's back-end.

There could be other reasons too. But when you do find out the correct reason, then you should be in a better position to decide how to "clean up" the data in your report suites.

Community Advisor

I agree with @yuhuisg  those three are the only reasons I can think of as well that would result in the behaviour you are seeing.

Without seeing what is happening ourselves, we really can't narrow it down much more.

Level 2

I am not sure how secure this is, so I can't share screenshots or more details here. However, as an example, imagine I have data for both Coke UK and Pepsi UK. I want to see how many people have gone to the website for Coke UK (that's my report suite), so I should see Coke, Coke Light, etc, but I also see Pepsi and other non Coke drinks. I have then applied a segment to say the URL does not include Pepsi but I still get data for Pepsi and then I have added another segment to exclude contains any of Pepsi, Sprite, etc. With these two segments I still get Pepsi. The contains any of I have separated with a ",", but it doesn't seem to work, so I might need a different delimiter?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Would you be able to share with us directly in a private message (so that it's not public), or is this something you cannot share at all without a NDA?

This new message it sounds like you are now trying to build out a segment (even if the collected data may not be as expected), which is a good strategy... 

First, what dimension are you using for your URL.. one thing to consider there is if you are using an eVar, depending on how the expiry is set, you may be carrying a value forward to additional server calls that is unintended as well.

Now, for your segment, you need to be aware of the scope... in this case, I would say it should probably be something like:

HIT level

url does not contain "pepsi"

and

url does not contain "sprite"

and

While you can use the "does not contain any of" I actually find these rules more cumbersome to use, and for long lists of values, they are harder to read because it's such a small input box.... I tend to specifically use OR / AND clauses and keep it broken out the "old school" way

Also, does not contain any of needs to be a very specific format "pepsi sprite"  (space delimited, no commas, etc)

Make sure to check the preview in the segment builder showing last 90 days.. this will help show you the values going down, if they don't then you either don't have that data (which is fine) or the rule isn't accounting for it properly.. if the numbers start going back up, as you are trying to remove things, then there is a logic issue in the segment.

Level 2

Thank you Jennifer! I went down the and or segment and changed the URL to not contain "Pepsi"  ;o), and since it's not so many drinks that I have to exclude, they were "does not contain any of" but I put a comma! So that's why it wouldn't work.

The other thing I did was to breakdown the specific URLs that were causing them to creep into my data and it's because of B2B campaigns, so I have to exclude that URL in a segment to make sure nothing from "Pepsi" is included.

Community Advisor

Excellent. Glad you are sorted out! If it makes you feel better when I do use the "contains any of" I usually add a comma too..then remember that doesn't work  

Level 1

Fantastic. Glad things have straightened you out! If using "contains any of" makes you feel better.