Expand my Community achievements bar.

Webinar: Adobe Customer Journey Analytics Product Innovations: A Quarterly Overview. Come learn for the Adobe Analytics Product team who will be covering AJO reporting, Graph-based Stitching, guided analysis for CJA, and more!

PurchaseID variable showing in adobe cloud debugger but not in adobe analytics workspace report

Level 2

Hi Experts,

We have an SAP where we track all our online e-commerce purchases with Purchase ID / Transaction ID directly from the website and at the same time we track all purchases in Adobe Analytics as well with the same Purchase ID.

From last month when we compare the transaction IDs of Adobe Analytics with the transaction IDs captured in SAP the Adobe numbers are way less which means many Purchase IDs are missing in Adobe.

After placing several orders, the Transaction ID/Purchase ID is captured in the Adobe Cloud Debugger, but after 3-4 hours when checking in the Analytics workspace, then it's not showing.

Not getting where the issue is.

Please find the below code snippet and the screenshots for your reference.

Looking for a positive revert.

Thanks in Advance.

s.linkTrackVars = "products,events,eVar1,eVar2,eVar4,eVar8,eVar10,eVar11,eVar12,prop1,prop2,prop10,prop11,prop12,eVar30,eVar24,eVar55,eVar27,eVar33,eVar35,eVar36,eVar39,eVar43,eVar48,eVar37,eVar58,eVar59,eVar60,eVar66,eVar91";

s.purchaseID = s.eVar43 = digitalData.purchase ? digitalData.purchase.ecommerce.purchaseId : $(".c-reciept-page__id").text();

21 Replies

Community Advisor

Hmm everything there looks correct... 

The only thing I can think of is that you might have a processing rule or VISTA rule removing eVar43?

VISTA rules are less likely (since you need Adobe Engineers to set those up at a cost, so most people don't use them), but can you check your processing rules for your suite?

Level 2

Nope, there are no Vista or Processing Rules are there.

Some of the Orders are tracked, and some of them are not.

Community Advisor

Wait... is it eVar43 that is missing, or the Orders themselves?

I am seeing your custom purchase id (eVar43), but I am not seeing the Adobe standard Purchase ID in your Cloud Debugger... it should appear right below your props... it might be that Adobe is seeing all your purchases with the same null id? And not tracking them as duplicates.

I think you need to add "purchaseID" to your linkTrackVars:

s.linkTrackVars = "products,events,eVar1,eVar2,eVar4,eVar8,eVar10,eVar11,eVar12,prop1,prop2,prop10,prop11,prop12,eVar30,eVar24,eVar55,eVar27,eVar33,eVar35,eVar36,eVar39,eVar43,eVar48,eVar37,eVar58,eVar59,eVar60,eVar66,eVar91";

To:

s.linkTrackVars = "products,events,eVar1,eVar2,eVar4,eVar8,eVar10,eVar11,eVar12,prop1,prop2,prop10,prop11,prop12,eVar30,eVar24,eVar55,eVar27,eVar33,eVar35,eVar36,eVar39,eVar43,eVar48,eVar37,eVar58,eVar59,eVar60,eVar66,eVar91,purchaseID";

See if that makes a difference

Level 2

I think we don't need to add the purchaseID to the linkTrackVars. It should automatically tracked.

Nowhere has Adobe defined to add it in the linkTrackVars.

I added it as you suggested and now purchasedID also appears in the cloud debugger below props.

Community Advisor

Well that's a good sign... 

Let's see if your test orders start appearing after about an hour.

Level 2

Not sure, How it worked. Thank you so much.

Could you please explain the reason behind the addition of purchaseID with the linkTrackVars?

All the purchaseID were tracked before as well, only from the last month it was not capturing all of the orders(but still it was capturing some). 

If we are tracking the purchaseID value in eVar43, then ideally eVar43 should show all the records. How is it linked with the purchaseID? From the report side, I am also checking the eVar43 value only.

Before purchaseID addition to the linkTrackVars, it was working as well till last month.

Community Advisor

purchaseID is a dimension, and on actions all the dimensions that Adobe will pass need to be specified in the linkTrackVar....

This goes back to the original way that Adobe was coded (before there were "clear vars"

Basically, let's say you loaded a page with:

props 1-5

eVars 1-6

list1

event1

along with your standard page name, server, channel, etc

Then you created a click action, in most case, you do not want to send all of the above with that action, but you wanted a subset of the above in addition to eVar7 and event2

So you would have to specify ALL the dimensions and events on the action...

s.linkTrackVars = "prop2,prop5,eVar3,eVar6,eVar7"

and

s.linkTrackEvent = "event2"

Everything NOT listed in the above would not be sent.

So again, no "purchaseID" in the list, it would not be sent...

Your custom eVar43 is not being used for deduplication on your orders... Adobe uses purchaseID for this, it cannot be changed:

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1720626170470.png

Ironically, purchaseID is one of those "deep data fields", it doesn't surface in Workspace at all... so you need your eVar43 for reporting, and your purchaseID to deduplicate the Orders....  purchaseID is available in the Raw Data feeds... but that's not helpful if you aren't using those....

However, if no purchase id is passed, Adobe is supposed to generate one, but depending on what is being passed, it may have created an identical ID and thus treated the purchase as a duplicate and removed it?

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/experience-cloud-kcs/kbarticles/ka-23145#:~:text=The%20sy....

Level 2

@Jennifer_Dungan Still some of the purchase IDs were missing when we compared last week's data with the SAP data.

Is there anything else need to look at?

Community Advisor

How many IDs are you talking? Could that simply be from users who are actively blocking Analytics? As in, do you have any traffic for those users outside of the missing purchase?

Web Analytics is always going to be subject to a certain amount of loss... 

Level 2

Here’s what I pulled from SAP from July 19 to 21.

20.27% (310 out of the 1,522 distinct transactionIDs) are not in AA.

MaheshKo1_0-1721744446996.png

Level 2

Is there anything that needs to be changed in the report suite?

screencapture-experience-adobe-2024-07-28-07_35_21.png

Community Advisor

Hmm when it comes to "PurchaseID" there's really not much you can change... it's pretty much a reserved and preset serialization key.

In the table that you showed your eVar43 and "not found", what metric are you using? Are you sure you are not accidentally pulling up "non-order hits".

eVars are a bit of a strange one to work with sometimes... Since they are dimensions that can persist values, the default state is unspecified.. and that will show on any hits that have no value set/attributed. If you are pairing with a metric that isn't associated to an order, you might be unintentionally picking up unspecified?

When you don't use distinct count, and just look at your "Orders" metric, does your count of orders look reasonable?

Maybe something is failing to just set your transaction ID eVar, possibly a timing issue?

Level 2

No unspecified counts in the eVar43 metric.

Screenshot 2024-07-28 at 9.42.17 AM.png

Maybe something is failing to just set your transaction ID eVar, possibly a timing issue? - It's set as Expire After Visit only, so ideally should not be the issue.

Community Advisor

Well in this breakdown I wouldn't expect it.. the Instance of eVar is explicitly connected to the eVar (the only time that goes wonky is when the eVar is a merchandising eVar).

What about in conjunction with Orders, or at least what is your total "raw" Orders.... 

What I am trying to figure out is are you missing Orders, missing Transaction IDs in conjunction with your Orders, or is the way you are trying to check your values making it seem there is an issue when there really isn't....

Level 2

MaheshKo1_0-1722409377055.png

Total raw orders from the above screenshot and not found relate to not being tracked in AA.

I am looking for the missing Transaction IDs in the AA workspace.

Community Advisor

I know you are looking for "missing transaction ids", but I think that the way you are using Distinct Count is causing you to see an issue that doesn't exist. Muddying the waters so to speak.

I am trying to get past the "mud".

The "PurchaseID" stuff is the variable that Adobe Users to de-duplicate Orders...  it would have no bearing on a custom Transaction ID... i.e. your eVar43, but since eVar43 is a "transaction id" it should be part of your Orders.

If eVar43 is a merchandising eVar, I've discovered that you will get a high amount of unspecifieds when not on the "order" hit, this could also be causing you to see strange data... it doesn't mean that data is missing, it's just the way that Adobe is processing the data on non-orders.

Level 2

Yes, eVar43 is not the merchandising eVar, otherwise, we could see the unspecified counts.

We can't say those are non-orders. We saw several recording sessions as well where users placed the orders, the thank you page appeared along with the transaction ID, and those transaction IDs are not available in the AA, but available in SAP.

Community Advisor

Even without eVar43 being a merchandising eVar, I still feel that the way you are combining it with Distinct Count is causing your issue...