Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Pagename for exit link click and exit link

Level 4

Hi everyone,

I have exit links OOTB enabled in Analytics extension and Link clicks Rule with event1. 

I have been capturing pageName with these events and I am not capturing page Url in eVar for link click and exit.

Now , I need to create a segment for one of the section of page. I have option of creating segment based on pagename and pageUrl .

If I am using pagename it is giving me more visits compared to page Url.

Can anyone please tell me which dimension will be the right one to segment. Also, why exit link is increasing my visit and pageviews. ?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I agree with @Vinoth1991's answer... Page (pageName) even though it is sent on actions, the value is removed during processing.

Oddly, it seems that Adobe has done some attribution magic in workspace that if you breakdown the Exit Link by Page that it will show information, but this won't apply to Segments which look at specific correlation. (I tested this, and while I can see "Page" values as a breakdown, I cannot build a segment on the combination of the standard page dimension and the exit link).

I have custom eVars for Page Name (that will actually track on both page views and actions) as well as Page URL (same, it will track on both types of calls), so that I can actually create segments.. but that won't help you trying to go back and look at the data you have right now.

While we can attempt to create a fancy segment with sequential logic, this won't be exact, as we will have to rely on "within 1 hit" logic, and if there are any hits between the Page View and the Exit Link (example expand/collapse a block on the page, sign up for a newsletter, etc - basically other actions that could occur on the page without triggering a new page), this segment won't return the exit link.

Right now, I can't even create a segment that comes close, and there is some "leakage" that occurs for users that have multiple exits in the same visit... unless I can figure out a way to clean that up, I don't want to post a partial solution... 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 4

Your question is unclear to me , 

Essentially, there are two types of calls:

S.t() - Page View Call where PageName dimension is defined

S.tl() - Non Page View call where there is no PageName, only Link name ((either Custom Link, Exit Link, or Download Link)

Our usual practice is to copy the PageName into a persistent eVar in the s.t() page view call, so that it persists to s.tl() as well. This enables segmentation using the eVar to identify all links on a page.

Alternatively,  we can pass the Evar itself in the s,tl() call

Can you provide what are you passing in both s.t() and s.tl() call?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I agree with @Vinoth1991's answer... Page (pageName) even though it is sent on actions, the value is removed during processing.

Oddly, it seems that Adobe has done some attribution magic in workspace that if you breakdown the Exit Link by Page that it will show information, but this won't apply to Segments which look at specific correlation. (I tested this, and while I can see "Page" values as a breakdown, I cannot build a segment on the combination of the standard page dimension and the exit link).

I have custom eVars for Page Name (that will actually track on both page views and actions) as well as Page URL (same, it will track on both types of calls), so that I can actually create segments.. but that won't help you trying to go back and look at the data you have right now.

While we can attempt to create a fancy segment with sequential logic, this won't be exact, as we will have to rely on "within 1 hit" logic, and if there are any hits between the Page View and the Exit Link (example expand/collapse a block on the page, sign up for a newsletter, etc - basically other actions that could occur on the page without triggering a new page), this segment won't return the exit link.

Right now, I can't even create a segment that comes close, and there is some "leakage" that occurs for users that have multiple exits in the same visit... unless I can figure out a way to clean that up, I don't want to post a partial solution...