Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

page name URL mapping

Level 1

Hi,  I am relatively new to Adobe Analytics and would like to understand more about page name to page URL mapping. For anyone with experience across a wide range of client implementations, I have the followinq questions:

1. How common is it for a single URL to be mapped to multiple (entry) page names? 
  2. What is the rationale for this mapping?  I presume it's a case of wanting to capture activity associated to the URL in multiple data slices. 
  3. Is the activity associated with a URL that is mapped to multiple pages allocated in some way to each page, or is the activity for that URL associated to each page name in it's entirety?

Or, if I am approaching the question the wrong way, would love to understand that, too.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Carolyn,

1. How common is it for a single URL to be mapped to multiple (entry) page names? 

It depends on the function and the implementation intent around how the page will be reported out on a line item basis in the Adobe Analytics site content report. I would say it is uncommon for a page that is identical in several respects and serves the same single function (for example the homepage) to be set to different page name values unless there is some important distinguishing feature across the page values. The crux of the matter is how the organization needs the data to be set on a line item basis and in aggregation.

1. What is the rationale for this mapping?  I presume it's a case of wanting to capture activity associated to the URL in multiple data slices. 

Yes a mapping of different page names to the same URL would be for cases where the organization wants the reporting in that manner in the base site content>pages report.

1. Is the activity associated with a URL that is mapped to multiple pages allocated in some way to each page, or is the activity for that URL associated to each page name in it's entirety?

Yes the site activity in the site content>pages report will associate to each granular page name as set in the implementation.

A good review of Adobe Analytics page naming can be found in the links below:

http://www.webmetric.org/content/page_naming.php?jump_id=5678

http://www.webmetric.org/content/page_naming_part2.php?jump_id=5678

Best,

Brian

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Carolyn,

It depends on the function and the implementation intent around how the page will be reported out on a line item basis in the Adobe Analytics site content report. I would say it is uncommon for a page that is identical in several respects and serves the same single function (for example the homepage) to be set to different page name values unless there is some important distinguishing feature across the page values. The crux of the matter is how the organization needs the data to be set on a line item basis and in aggregation.

1. What is the rationale for this mapping?  I presume it's a case of wanting to capture activity associated to the URL in multiple data slices. 

Yes a mapping of different page names to the same URL would be for cases where the organization wants the reporting in that manner in the base site content>pages report.

1. Is the activity associated with a URL that is mapped to multiple pages allocated in some way to each page, or is the activity for that URL associated to each page name in it's entirety?

Yes the site activity in the site content>pages report will associate to each granular page name as set in the implementation.

A good review of Adobe Analytics page naming can be found in the links below:

http://www.webmetric.org/content/page_naming.php?jump_id=5678

http://www.webmetric.org/content/page_naming_part2.php?jump_id=5678

Best,

Brian

Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, Brian.  Very helpful.