Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Multiple segments in a Data Warehouse request

Level 2

When we select multiple segments in a data warehouse report (screenshot below), will the request consider "OR" condition between these segments to pull the data?

krishkpn_0-1658474913321.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Are you trying to apply "multiple" segments, or just the one segment as shown?

The data returned by this segment (assuming it works in Workspace) should work the same way in Data Warehouse.

However, in the "contains any of" I don't think you should have the comma (,) unless that comma is actually part of the text of the page name, and also wildcards like asterisk (*) aren't supported... 

I suspect the issue with Data Warehouse is that this segment is returning no values.

IF you are using a combination of 2 segments on a Data Warehouse pull they use "AND" logic... 

For instance, if I have a segment that is set to pull traffic from Mobile Devices, and another that is supposed to pull Known Users (i.e. logged in)... then using those two segments would return logged in users on mobile devices (the combination of both segments) . (not logged in OR mobile devices)

If I were to try to use two non-overlapping segments like "Mobile Devices" and "Desktop Devices" (my segments are looking at Hit level), it will result in no results, as no user can simultaneously be on a Mobile Device and a Desktop Device on the same Hit.

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Are you trying to apply "multiple" segments, or just the one segment as shown?

The data returned by this segment (assuming it works in Workspace) should work the same way in Data Warehouse.

However, in the "contains any of" I don't think you should have the comma (,) unless that comma is actually part of the text of the page name, and also wildcards like asterisk (*) aren't supported... 

I suspect the issue with Data Warehouse is that this segment is returning no values.

IF you are using a combination of 2 segments on a Data Warehouse pull they use "AND" logic... 

For instance, if I have a segment that is set to pull traffic from Mobile Devices, and another that is supposed to pull Known Users (i.e. logged in)... then using those two segments would return logged in users on mobile devices (the combination of both segments) . (not logged in OR mobile devices)

If I were to try to use two non-overlapping segments like "Mobile Devices" and "Desktop Devices" (my segments are looking at Hit level), it will result in no results, as no user can simultaneously be on a Mobile Device and a Desktop Device on the same Hit.

I hope this helps

Community Advisor

Ahh, no problem @krishkpn 

In this screenshot, it should be AND.

While I can't tell if your segments are hit, visit or visitor level, the two segments should be used together.. if you see some strange data, then maybe the way the segment is built could be causing some cross-over (visitor level is notorious for this).

If you are concerned about your numbers, you can use them in a Workspace and dig a little deeper into any oddities.