Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Monday - Sunday Weekly Granularity in Report Builder

Level 4

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to create a report (in report builder) containing several week's worth of Unique Visitor data split out by week, i.e:

Report:

Week 1: xxx

Week 2: xxx

Week 3: xxx

Week 4: xxx

I would typically do this by using the "Apply Granularity: Weekly" function. However, this will only give weeks that run from Sunday - Saturday. For this report I need my weeks to run from Monday - Sunday. I want to avoid pulling every day's worth of data and adding it using excel as this will inflate visit / unique visitor numbers, and I don't want to have to pull each week separately as I want to report on a couple of year's worth of data.  Is it possible to set a Week granularity in Report Builder to be Monday - Sunday"? If not, it would be great to get this added into the functionality (it would also be brilliant to have this functionality in Ad Hoc, Workspace and Analytics)

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Tobz

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Toby, 

You can make use of the Custom Calendar feature in Report Builder. Have a look at the documentation here - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/arb/custom_calendar.html

For your requirements the modified Gregorian Calendar option would be the most suitable according to me. Let me know if that works for you. Thanks!

Tanmay

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Toby, 

You can make use of the Custom Calendar feature in Report Builder. Have a look at the documentation here - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/arb/custom_calendar.html

For your requirements the modified Gregorian Calendar option would be the most suitable according to me. Let me know if that works for you. Thanks!

Tanmay

Level 1

Hello,

If I understand correctly, if I want weeks to start on monday I simply setup the calendar as Modified Gregorian Calendar with first day of the week: Monday?

Thanks

Level 4

Thanks Tanmay,

That's really helpful. I have a follow up question. Will altering the week start retroactively update all of our previous data? Will it cause any issues with counting (for example) Unique Visitors? I don't want to make changes if it will skew what I already have.

Thanks

Tobz

Level 10

Hi Toby, 

Changing the calendar changes the way data is processed (i.e. the definition of weekly and monthly unique visitors). When a calendar's definition of weeks and months changes, historical data is not altered.

Another way you could achieve this is by using custom expressions https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/arb/t_customized_date_expressions.html

You could enter an expression like : From cw-6w-1d (current week minus 6 weeks minus one day) To cw-1w-1d (current week minus one week minus one day) and select the granularity as weekly to get a time shifted reporting of data. 

Let me know if this is helpful. Thanks!

Tanmay

Level 2

Hi Tanmay, 

could you maybe clarify what happens when the calendar definiton of weeks changes? 

In toby's example, say we change first day of week from Sunday to now be Monday. Assuming we have been collecting data on this report suite for 2 years. 

What would be the implications? 

Are we simply shifting the calendar 1 day forward to defin a week as starting on a Monday as opposed to a Sunday, which is what we expect and hence Uniques numbers can clearly be different due to processing them over a different range of dates. 

or...

is part of our data before the change calculating uniques with weeks starting on Sunday, and the rest of data from date the setting is changed calculating uniques with Sart of week as a Monday.

I'd like to get a clearer understanding of how the data will be affected in order to assess if it is a risk for me to change this setting on a report suite that has already been capturing data for a few years. 

much appreciated

Kind regards

Level 10

Hi, 

Once you apply the new definition of the week the trended reports would display data corresponding to the new range of week. It does not change your historical data. For example, in the normal calendar you would see the data of visits for the week of 1st (sunday) to 7th (saturday) May 2016. If you start your calendar week from Wednesday you will see the report display data for weeks as 27th Apr to 4th May and therefore the count of visits would be different. 

I am not sure how it would affect the already scheduled reports and dashboards though. Still researching on that part. I hope this was helpful. Thanks!

Tanmay 

Level 4

Hi Tanmay,

Thanks for this. I think the biggest concern is over scheduled reports / dashboard as these are the areas that will feel the biggest "jolt" if we change the date period, have your investigations come up with anything on this?

Thanks

Toby

Level 10

Hi Toby,

Yes I have researched around this. Changing the date period will change the scheduled reports & Dashboards as well if they have any component of the week. They would now report the data according to the new definition of the week. So you would have to take that into consideration. 

Tanmay

Level 4

HI Tammay

We too have a set up for Sun-Sat.  However I need to report on Mon-Sun. (We are unable to change this due to the way other areas are using the data)

I set up a report as you suggested.  

However I am still getting the start date for the week as a Sunday, not Monday.  

What else do i need to change?

Level 10

Hi Kristi, 

Since you are using Current Week (cw) it anchors to the first day of the week which by default is Sun-Sat for you. 

You would have to get into the day granularity and calculate according to the day you are setting up the report. For example, if i want a report for last week i would do cd-11d to cd-4d

Can you try this and see if it works?

Level 1

Hi Tanmay,

can it be rolled back. Suppose I change my calendar and now I want to undo.

Can I do that?

Or is it a one time function which admin can perform then after no change is allowed.

Thanks,

Ujjwal